NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my daughter's 01 1.8t broke a timing belt a few months ago, so searching for a replacement I found a guy who had one, long story short,its in and runing stronger than before and then he informed me that he found out that it was an turbo S motor which has the 30 more hp, anyway the problem is my old motor did not have cam adjusters and this one has it, so he dosen't know how to wire the cam adjusters. Like I said the car runs great but the CEL is on saying cam position sensor as it was read by a vag-com, any ideas or help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well....I think we need more information and some research / thinking on this subject.
It maybe simple or more complicated....

What version of the 1.8T did you have in your 2001? I think a 2001 could have had 2 different versions an APH or a AWV. If the motor you installed is actually from a Turbo S then its a AWP.

Most of these engines used different ECU's and had some wiring differences. Did they swap ECU's when they did the engine change? What wiring harness did they use for the motor? The one for the original engine or the donor engine?
Assuming the original harness and now you don't have a connector for the VVT solenoid?

What is the exact code that is showing up?
I know you said cam position sensor but what is the code(s) that it is giving?

I dont think that you can just "Wire up the cam timing adjusters" as you said.
Its controlled by the ECU, so I would think that you would need to change the ECU and the wiring harness for a swap to an AWP motor and or correct / add the extra wiring to the existing harness to get everything to work correctly.

But this is just my .02 cents worth and its not even worth that much. As I said at the start of the thread you need to do some more research, as I don't have that much knowledge off the top of my head...

Krash

1 - 3 of 3 Posts