NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
So this weekend I finally had to chance to mess with the new Bug a bit. The first order of business was to teach my 14 year old son how to change the tire on it, since it will be his car soon enough. 2nd we gave it a proper batch finally. The paint is rough, but washing all the grunge off always makes me feel better. :) After that we checked out some of the basics trying to figure out why it's running rough and where all this oil seems to be coming from. Opening the hood, you can see oil has coated everything in the front. On our very first drive after we got it fired up, we got back and noticed the dipstick had been pushed out leading me to wonder where the pressure is coming from. We pulled all the plugs, and one of them did appear to be lightly fouled. Cleaned them all up and got it buttoned back up. Took it for a brief drive, and the lack of power and a bit of a miss is still there. It will definitely spool up, and get moving, but has a real lack of low end power. I was able to confirm this time that there does seem to be crankcase pressure through the dipstick. I think my next check will be the PCV system, hoping that either worn hoses or the valve itself is the culprit. After that I think will definitely be a compression test. Any other ideas as to what I should look for?
Thanks!
[/url]IMG_1210 by Curtis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_1173 by Curtis, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
56 Posts
have you removed and checked your dipstick holder..?

looks like you're missing the Dipstick Support Bracket part # 06A133376D ?

My dipstick holder was cracked at the base a while back.. maybe in part because I didn't have this support bracket...

anyway, this crack caused rough idling issues... similar to how a vacuum leak causes this.. and possibly cause oil to leak also like you have

if not cracked.. then likely culprit would be a vacuum leak someplace.

I wrote a thread on vac leaks , have a look

btw. If you do need to buy the "orange" dipstick holder - DO NOT buy aftermarket .. they are s**t, cheap plastic.

Buy original VW, pay a little more for far superior quality.

HTH.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have you removed and checked your dipstick holder..?

looks like you're missing the Dipstick Support Bracket part # 06A133376D ?

My dipstick holder was cracked at the base a while back.. maybe in part because I didn't have this support bracket...

anyway, this crack caused rough idling issues... similar to how a vacuum leak causes this.. and possibly cause oil to leak also like you have

if not cracked.. then likely culprit would be a vacuum leak someplace.

I wrote a thread on vac leaks , have a look

btw. If you do need to buy the "orange" dipstick holder - DO NOT buy aftermarket .. they are s**t, cheap plastic.

Buy original VW, pay a little more for far superior quality.

HTH.
Thanks for your response! I will check that out. Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts