VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting the research process and looking for information...

2003 Beetle 1.8L Turbo with an automatic transmission that is basically gone at this point.

Anyone know if a 2005 Passat 1.8L Turbo with an automatic could be used as a transmission donor car?

Thanks for any and all advice and input.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The Passat has an entirely different transmission. The beetle has the 01m. Do some searching on this site and at tdiclub to find out just how bad the 01m is.

The 01m was used in the golf/Jetta/beetle from 1999.5-2003.

Here is a link to a sure fire fix for that transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Passat has an entirely different transmission. The beetle has the 01m. Do some searching on this site and at tdiclub to find out just how bad the 01m is.

The 01m was used in the golf/Jetta/beetle from 1999.5-2003.

Here is a link to a sure fire fix for that transmission.

I had seen that thread and would love to take on a similar project, but that might be more than I'm capable of on my own and would be expensive to have done at a shop. I was also hoping for a quicker fix with another, decent-mileage auto that might be more plug-n-play.

I'd love to keep the Beetle going, so I'm hoping to find a solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow up question...

Does anyone know if there's another VW automatic transmission that would bolt in, in place of the 01m in a 2003 Beetle 1.8L Turbo? Are there other, more reliable and readily available options? Maybe the 09A or 09G? Grasping at straws, but trying to educate myself and find a solution.

Thanks for any advice and input. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
As far as I’m aware the 01M is it for those model years. The 04-06 model year transmissions were only slightly better. A junkyard is a possibility however you will need to find a low mileage wreck, not a low mileage otherwise nice looking car. Any car like that is almost certainly there because of a dead transmission. Again the 99.5-03 Golf/Jetta/beetle all used the same transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I’m aware the 01M is it for those model years. The 04-06 model year transmissions were only slightly better. A junkyard is a possibility however you will need to find a low mileage wreck, not a low mileage otherwise nice looking car. Any car like that is almost certainly there because of a dead transmission. Again the 99.5-03 Golf/Jetta/beetle all used the same transmission.
You make a great point about looking for a possible donor vehicle in a junkyard. I'll start watching my local salvage yard with that in mind. Thanks for the info on the 01M being in the 99.5-03 Golf/Jetta/Beetle, as well as all the info so far. It's letting me consider how to approach this whole situation in a different light.

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
What are the problems you are having with your current transmission and have you tried to diagnose it? We have had a pretty decent rate of repair on the 01M and 09G with sticking solenoids, wiring harness/plug damage, worn valve bodies and shifter assembly damaged, bad sensors, etc. being common issues, that can be repaired at home, diy type of situation. Because, of the time, money and work involved, diagnosing what you have, is always a good idea and can help guide, you on your next step or as you are thinking, a total swap, if needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Starting the research process and looking for information...

2003 Beetle 1.8L Turbo with an automatic transmission that is basically gone at this point.

Anyone know if a 2005 Passat 1.8L Turbo with an automatic could be used as a transmission donor car?

Thanks for any and all advice and input.
I have a 2003 1.8 turbo conv engine blew. Looking to sell the car for 1700 it will be a project car for someone that likes to work on cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts