NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove it into the shop, set everything up per Bentley, etc., and did the TB job. Car has 218k miles on it.

I removed the old TB and installed a complete kit, (tensioner, roller, water pump, TB, Serp, new mount bolts, etc.) I did a two times rotation of the engine to make sure the Cam and Flywheel marks were okay, spot-on!

I also replaced the Cam seals and valve cover gasket.

I did re-install the Cam sensor, etc., correctly.

All of the above has been triple checked....

The plug pack wiring harness passed the test according to Bentley procedure (voltage and use of LED). I also did a compression check on #1 cylinder, just over 175 lbs.

There is fuel on the rail ... I can hear the fuel pump charge-up and shut off.

I've checked fuses.... found nothing blown.

I did not remove the battery cables during the procedure.

Yes, there was a ton of DTCs which I cleared out. The only codes now are low/intermitten voltage on the four Injectors. I am using Ross-Tech VAG COM Diagnostic System (VCDS) to test for codes.... not a generic system.

This car did experience a busted oil pan last summer due to cleaning out a ditch line. However, the pan and oil pump were replaced by the owner. It has been driven a lot since then. Also, it was driven over 30 miles to my place. I started it the next morning and drove it into my garage... all seemed normal.

The passenger side air bag has been deployed and replaced. The AirBag light is not on ... no lights on in cluster!

I've searched for disconnected plugs, broken wires, etc., to no avail!

So, what on Earth has happened?
 

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
Joined
·
629 Posts
Did you disconnect all those fuel lines over on the passenger side to give you clearance to work? If yes, recheck, they can go back in the wrong order. That's all I can think of. How did you do the belt install to make sure the cams and the crank were in time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the gas lines loose at the rail... plugged them and tied back out of the way. I put caps on the metal ends.

I did not mark them. However, the way I have them seems logical by their length, etc. But, I've given your suggestion some thought but have not switched them... will give that a try.

As for how I done the TB job, I set the Crankshaft at the flywheel mark on TDC. The Cam Shaft Sprocket has a mark on it that matches the Valve Cover mark. The Cam was actually exactly one notch slow in time. I set the new belt spot-on. I rotated the engine over two full turns. In fact, I've re-checked my work two more times.... yes, pulled the air filter box back out to access the hole in the bellhousing.

This is my third 1.8T TB job. I've done a few 2.0 engines and lost count on the 1.9 TDI engines that I've done TB jobs on.

This thing has been a nightmare!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved

Problem solved.

Yes, the two fuel lines were crossed.

Gees! I looked at them early on and determined by the appearance of the binds and twists as well as the two connecting plastic bracket separators that they were just fine.

Anyway, after the suggestions here and looking at the diagrams in the Bentley determining that the top metal rail line is the return .......... it was a given, switch the two lines and see what happens. Well, after sitting all night there was pressure on that return rail because the pressure input line was connected to it.

I switched the two lines and they looked logically connected just as they did the other way ..... presto, it fired up!

Okay, I did notice that each line has painted markings on it. The pressure line has white and the return has blue. I just assumed those were to show how to align the hose so that it is not twisted and under stress.

Thanks for the responses!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top