VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all, I haven't been here since I was 17 and I'm starting to remember why hahaha.
Well I got myself a 2001,sport and she's great when she runs. When she does .

My problem started back when I bought the car it had a check engine for coolant temp sensor. I replaced it like a moron with a cheap sensor shortly after my motor mount snapped and I started having all sorts of wonderful issues. I replaced the mount and about a day later the car just went straight to limp mode. This being my first newer vw in quite a while I automatically went old school. I replaced the plugs with the NGK lasers and replaced the coil packs with their better mk5 brethrens. I'm gonna note all the packs were used and while they worked verry well I noticed a crack in the insulator on 1&2 cyl. So I'm verry aware of this. However here's the clincher. The car runs amazing untill it randomly hits limp. I replaced the coolant sensor twice the second time I was on the side of the road and I had a spare OEM used one. I threw that in there and all my problems went away. The light actually cleared itself. Then one day it went limp while starting . I quickly was able to get it out by restarting the car and this is the persistent issue. It still throws a code for the coolant sensor now its a p0118 for circut too high. It will run wonderful if it has time to cool down , but as soon as its run hard or constantly started boom! Limpmode . when it does it runs violently causing me to boost hard and have no breaks unless I'm under boost. Also the car shakes and stutters violently like its got a massive boost leak. I can't figure this out . anyone have an idea I'm gonna replace the coolant sensor yet again ugh . if anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate this. There's a built scirocco rat and a bike who depend on this bug to be a reliable daily driver

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would definitely; get access to a Volkswagen compatible scanner and one with live data, would be even better. That way; you can see what is going on, for drivability issues... you NEED to see what the engine computers are seeing.

ALSO, is this a modified car or a stock setup?

With the misfire issues; using questionable coil packs that are used, adds another variable into the mix... which can make your troubleshooting process harder. I would scan the car for trouble codes and if you get specific cylinders (e.g. #1, #2, etc.), I would swap locations and see if the trouble codes moves to the new location. If it does; than, you know that particular coil pack is bad. Keep doing this swap process; until all the codes stop and the car runs smooth again. The Mark IV AND Mark V coil packs are known for failures; so, using a Mark V series coil that is used isn't necessarily a huge improvement (this has been debated endlessly; on vwvortex). Also, is there a height difference between the two? Some companies; were selling spacers, so they would fit correctly, are yours popping out and getting disconnected? The latest revision of the Mark IV series coil packs; are superior and do not seem to fail, like the earlier ones did. I would go to your local dealer and get the original Bremi packs and that would insure, you get the latest, new performing and most reliable versions out there (some like the bolt down Hitachi versions better). You can look at 1.8T coil pack options here:

ECS News MKIV 1.8T Coil Pack Options

I had the latest revision; put in my car, with the last recall and have not had a failure since then. The earlier revisions; failed TWICE and I had to keep buying new ones.

The latest revision for the 1.8T is:

Volkswagen part #: 06A905115D

Volkswagen National eStore

You might post the part #'s; of the coils and spark plugs, you are using and we can see what they are.

Misfires; can be a number of different things (fuel pressure, vacuum leak, coil plugs/wiring harness etc.etc.) but the violent shaking you are referencing, sounds like a classic failure of a coil pack.

A bad; CTS or the wiring to the CTS, can cause a hard start and stumble issue, on a cold start engine. A rich condition and poor fuel economy is a result as well. My car; had one of the terminal ends break off the plug and it took a bit, for me to figure out what was going on. If this is your case; you can purchase new terminal ends and a plug, at your local Volkswagen dealer.

16502/P0118/000280 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Aside from that; I would really want to scan the car for trouble codes, otherwise... it can be like flying blind. Pleas scan the car and post up; any and all codes! Lets get this, thing fixed! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its been quite a pain with the CTS issue once again the car runs beautiful with the new CTS. I am new to the "obd2" stuff but I have accuired this scanner that works with my phone and I do log and realtime on the codes. But as I said the new CTS did the trick, for now lol

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
The generic scanners won't pick up all codes. You really need to get your hands on VCDS/VAG-COM to see all codes. I have an OBDII bluetooth reader to go with Torque on my phone and it won't pick up the code that sends me into limp mode on occasion. Only VAG-COM does.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know what that code is. I'm having the same problem the CTS didn't do anything this time and I'm once again closer to not caring about my childhood and torching this thing

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Your wireless adapter and apps; are great for live data and generic obd Ii codes but they will not give you vw specific codes and access to all the computers/modules on your Volkswagen. Seeing how you are dealing with drivability problems; I would recommend at the bare minimum, you get a Volkswagen code reader to add more capability to reading vw trouble codes. Check out Amazon; many are less than $50 and others less than $100 with live data capability. The best solution; is th vw factory level scan tool VCDS from Ross Tech in the $250 to $350 range.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Vag+scan+tool

http://www.ross-tech.com/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Do you know what that code is. I'm having the same problem the CTS didn't do anything this time and I'm once again closer to not caring about my childhood and torching this thing
I get this code: 17705/P1297/004759 - Ross-Tech Wiki
No CEL though. Its a curious thing really. I went into limp mode once. Restarted the car and it was fine. Reset the code and then went into limp mode again. Restarted, car ran fine. Happened again next time I cleared it. I haven't cleared it in a few months and no limp mode. Code is still there though. Its strange. But its a VW so I don't expect any less!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get that code too and I can't figure it out . p1297 but now my computer won't communicate with the scanner maybe my ecu is done.what solved the code for you

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
I haven't solved it. Car runs fine so long as I don't clear the code so I'm not messing with it.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. ECUs are rarely the issue. Do you have an aftermarket radio?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts