NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
BSG-75 CAG
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So there is a guy in my car club that is willing to sell me an AWD 1.8T block, pistons, rods, and crank for $150, but i could probably talk him down to $100. First question, is this a decent deal for these parts? Is there any interchangeability of any accessory parts between the 2.0 and the 1.8? If i got an ECU and cluster from a turbo beetle, and swapped it into my 2.0 beetle, would i still have to run a wire harness from a turbo beetle?

I figure that these are probably stupid questions, but i really want to get an idea of what i would be up against.

·
BSG-75 CAG
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seriously, if anybody has any information whatsoever, i would be happy to hear it. If i want to get this engine i am going to have to pull the trigger fairly quick, so any info is welcomed.

·
2,646 Posts
Motor swap rule: "Don't build what you can buy."

I think you'd be headed down a road full of disappointments and unforeseen expenses myself. Yes the wiring in the engine compartment is very different. If you were going to do a VR6 or 2.5L 5cyl. I'd be supportive. If you want a 1.8T, sell yours and buy one.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I agree. If you had all the components to go with it, I'd say go for it. But, most likely, you'll rack your brains out trying to find everything for it.

·
BSG-75 CAG
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh trust me, I would really like to just sell mine and buy a beetle that already has a 1.8t, however, I have been trying to sell my car on not only this site, but four other sites for about three months now. Nobody seems to want to buy a 2.0L beetle with 171,000 miles on it.

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
how much would it really cost to just do the swap?
More than it would cost to sell a 2.0 for dirt cheap and then buy a 1.8T. Why not just trade it in at a dealer?

·
2.slow
91 Posts
one thing a lot of people don't, understand is the fact that ( most) people don't have the money to just sell their car. I just picked up this 2.0 and i love it. I almost purchased a 99 passat 1.8t until i found out about all the oil problems. Better question for you. Do they make low comp. rebuild kits, and turbo manifolds for the 2.0? I don't have 5-9 k to just throw around, but i'm all game to put stuff together bit by bit. Before this vehicle i had a 420a powered DSM which as most of you know is a downgrade from the 4g63. They all told me to just sell the car and get a 4g, but i stuck to it did my own thing. I know it's not cost effective, but we all have our faults. It's an expensive hobby to have. So... do they make those parts for the 2.0?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
So there is a guy in my car club that is willing to sell me an AWD 1.8T block, pistons, rods, and crank for $150, but i could probably talk him down to $100. First question, is this a decent deal for these parts? Is there any interchangeability of any accessory parts between the 2.0 and the 1.8? If i got an ECU and cluster from a turbo beetle, and swapped it into my 2.0 beetle, would i still have to run a wire harness from a turbo beetle?

I figure that these are probably stupid questions, but i really want to get an idea of what i would be up against.
Coming from someone who has a Turbo S I don't understand why you're asking this question.

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
Coming from someone who has a Turbo S I don't understand why you're asking this question.
Like SMG .. I am also a bit confused. You want to swap your turbo s for my 2.0? Unless you really don't have a turbo s like your profile says.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
You're looking at about $5-6k for a 1.8t and if you can get the BLOCK for $100 you can BUILD one for less. ESPECIALLY if you're going for STOCK, people literally throw the stock hardware away for the after market stuff. I imagine you can build the whole motor for under $2k and then just need the harness and ECU...and your time to swap it in.

The speedo will still work from the 2.0 but it won't go to 160mph (Not that I've seen a 1.8T do that anyway).

It's doable, you'll need an ECU and the complete wiring harness. THe bodies didn't change, but the dash would come out.

I'd say that you're looking at a good 2 weekends worth of work to swap everything over yourself. Most of it will be dis-reassembly times. Bolting the engine up is the easiest part of the whole process.

Also it's NOT cheaper to sell and buy. I'll be swapping my TDI into a new shell because I can get any old 2.0 for $1300 but I can't get another TDI for less than $5k. MUCH Cheaper to swap, and it seems the same could be true of the 1.8T.

PLUS he can SELL that 2.0L engine and put money towards the swap parts or just as the first few tanks of fuel. I'd give ya $500 at least for a 2.0 with 177k.

vwvortex.com -- hate to suggest it -- you'd probably get a better answer for the more technical questions on doing a swap. Sure someone has done this 2.0 to 1.8T.

ALSO... if you bought the car NEW the interior and body is customized to your liking. I'd not sell my straight body car for a car with more damage to the exterior but the engine I wanted, that's just crazy in my opinion.

·
BSG-75 CAG
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made this thread a couple of weeks before I traded in my 2.0 for my Turbo S, figured the thread was dead, sorry for the confusion. Looking back, I do wish that I had just kept the 2.0 along with the Turbo S, I miss it and the dealer gave me not enough money for it :(

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
oh it's ok, someone else can come in with the same question and get some answers.

The TS is a cool car, it has the normal 1.8T -- not the weirder one that the Turbo models got. I don't know the difference but I think the Beetle 1.8T isn't as tunable as the "other" code 1.8T that all the other cars (TS included) got.

So you got a good one, if you want the gas turbo!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,137 Posts
The "regular" 1.8T NB engine only has 150hp, so its been de-tuned. The TS gets the 1.8T that the rest of the mk4's got with 170 or 180.

·
BSG-75 CAG
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Turbo S got the AWP code 1.8t, which is the same motor as the 20th AE GTI, the 25th Anniversary GTI (aka the 337), and the 2004.5 and up GLI. I love it, but I do kinda wish that i had kept my last Beetle around as maybe a winter car, especially since snow fell for the first time this morning and the wide 17's do not like driving on snow :(

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
I made this thread a couple of weeks before I traded in my 2.0 for my Turbo S, figured the thread was dead, sorry for the confusion. Looking back, I do wish that I had just kept the 2.0 along with the Turbo S, I miss it and the dealer gave me not enough money for it :(
:thup::thup: Got it. Good move on the Turbo S.

·
Registered
1964 Deluxe, 2005 GLS 2014 Rline
237 Posts
i swapped out my 2.0 for a 1.8T... Oh from a Audi S3..lol...260 hp of Turbo fun now

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
i swapped out my 2.0 for a 1.8T... Oh from a Audi S3..lol...260 hp of Turbo fun now
Good grief! Did you write up a "How to" DIY? I am sure lots here would be interested in something like that.

·
Registered
1964 Deluxe, 2005 GLS 2014 Rline
237 Posts
alas no write up... dint think to many people would want to know to be honest... always get the 'Why put an engine in a car that already comes with that engine' lol

they didnt do a turbo in 1998! lol

·
Same Name, New Parts
443 Posts
If your going to swap in a AWD make sure you dont swap AWD engine harness/ecu/cluster because thats narrowband/early style gti/jetta and dont have too much tuning available.

The block is fine but i would get AWP ecu/engine harneses/02 harness/cluster
AWD has no VVT so you would have to resistor that off.

But still dont see the point of swaping a 1.8t into a 2.0 unless you've done some crazy amounts of work in the car that cant be just swapped out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts