NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
If you have the hybrid oil pan like I do, the plug that came with it comes off using an allen key. I don't remember the size off the top of my head, but it's big.. :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
If you have the hybrid oil pan like I do, the plug that came with it comes off using an allen key. I don't remember the size off the top of my head, but it's big.. :D
What the heck is a "Hybrid" Oil pan? Does it run on Oil and Electricty :p

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Aluminum top with a steel bottom. Designed so the Marons at the shops stop stripping the therads out of the all aluminum ones.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Aluminum top with a steel bottom. Designed so the Marons at the shops stop stripping the therads out of the all aluminum ones.
That actually makes sense. I think that's what happened to my Audi TT when a Euro shop did some maintenance and changed my oil. Every since then it was dripping out of my Oil plug and I eventually had to get an oversized plug for it. I think that Hybrid pan should be standard.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
It's tougher too.. I cracked my old oil pan (which was the aluminum one) on a stick. Not even a big stick. :mad:

·
a guy with a car
47 Posts
Repairing an aluminum oil pan isn't hard. You can either use a Heli-Coil or a Timesert to repair the damaged threads.

:)

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
When I changed my oil pan, it had the inset allen wrench style hybrid pan. I actually hate this, I liked the metric socket style better.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
When I changed my oil pan, it had the inset allen wrench style hybrid pan. I actually hate this, I liked the metric socket style better.
Can't you change the plug to a regular type?
Or better yet get a Gold "Magnetic" type plug. Should be the same thread size as the allen type plug.

Automotive Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs AP-08

Those things have a Super Powerful Magnet and will capture any metal shavings. I have a cheap Autozone Magnetic drain Plug which I bought for $3.49 but it has a cheap little magnet. The next time I change my oil I will get me one of these.

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
I actually like the aliminum pan better than the steel. They have a kit that puts a skid plate over under the pan to protect it, and the pan is ribbed, so it actually cools the oil. I am thinking of buying this in the near future. Being that I have a Turbo, I want to make sure the oil is in prime condition for the lubrication of the Turbo. I didn't know about the magnetic oil screw...I am going to get one!! Glad you said that the autozone one was weak, so I can get the right one.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I actually like the aliminum pan better than the steel. They have a kit that puts a skid plate over under the pan to protect it, and the pan is ribbed, so it actually cools the oil. I am thinking of buying this in the near future. Being that I have a Turbo, I want to make sure the oil is in prime condition for the lubrication of the Turbo. I didn't know about the magnetic oil screw...I am going to get one!! Glad you said that the autozone one was weak, so I can get the right one.
The Autozone magnetic drain plug has a very small magnet on the front tip. I tried to pick up a small wrench with it but it wouldn't pick it up. The Gold Plug is a lot more powerful and I will order one for my next oil change. I was going to install one of these FilterMAG: Magnetic Oil Filters finish the Job Your Filter Started. But those things are over 50 bucks and I don't think a magnet is worth that much. ;)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I just ordered the Gold plug...and also ordered a new dipstick tube, mine is looking rough.
Yup, they tend to get brittle and break. Wish they weren't plastic. I keep one as a spare but haven't had to use it yet. I may just change it out as a precautionary meassure. ;)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
yeah, mine is looking bad. I bet it will break when taking it off
They pretty much all do because they get brittle due to heak soak and are nearly impossilbe to remove without breaking.
Just be careful that no plastic pieces fall into the oil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts