NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just used seafoam carbon cleaner in my 1.8t tsi. It has 49000 on it. No codes. I just thought that I would clean them. Followed directions and it only puffed a big cloud once when I drove it like I stole it. Some very little smoke after that, but quickly went a way. I'm sure it was the bat out of hell driving 馃槀. I had an engine code saying bank one O2 sensor reading rich/lean. Cleared it and hasn't came back on yet after about 25-30 miles of spirited driving in sport mode. Idk if it's just my imagination. But I hear the turbo whistle more now. And it seems to go better when you get on it, hard馃槃it might just be my mind playing tricks on me.

Registered
What trouble code; where you getting? I have been seeing, a number of products; pop up on the market lately, that claim to be able to clean direct injection related carbon deposits. Up until now, many of the factory tech bulletins; from many manufacturers recommended the use of blasting thing with a air gun and walnut shell media. I guess, it depends on how bad the carbon build up is and if you can inspect it with a endoscope camera or pull the intake off, to take a look. Were you having any starting issues, misfires or drivability problems?

Here are some videos and discussions; about the TSI carbon build up issues:

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
No miss fire codes or other issues. I've never had a DI engine with a turbo. My first for both. I have been reading in here and other places about the carbon build up issue. I've seen a lot of different people use it on low mileage cars and some very high mileage cars. Like 180000+. And a lot of them say that you should do it about every 10000 miles. That's what seafoam says too. But they're trying to make money. Idk. After I started it after the heat soak. It ran a little rough for a minute or so then cleaned up. That's when I noticed the engine light was on. Checked code and it was the O2 sensor at. Bank one. It said that it was a rich/lean error with that O2 sensor. So I didn't have all that smoke while sitting still or going through the neighborhood to get out on the road. I had it in sport mode and when I got going straight on the road I took off. One big poof came out and that was it for the smoke show. Down the road at a light. It was barely smoking. Like a cold morning. Then after driving hard for a little while, it really cleared up. I guess you're supposed to get it hot enough to burn out the carbon. Idk. It was fun either way 馃槉. I didn't clear the code before that because I was thinking that it might have junk on it and I wanted to see if it worked. Got home. Read code again. Same thing. It was running smoothly. And it seemed to get down the road better under hard throttle. Never got hot. Stubbled a few times on take off from a light, but that quickly went away. It's probably just me, but I swear I hear the turbo whistle more. Could just be my mind tricking me into thinking that. But I put about 25-30 miles on it driving "spirtly"馃 I followed the instructions to the T. After I cleared the code it hasn't came back on. Drove some more, not as hard, and it hasn't came back. I rescanned and nothing. I thought I was going to be one of those guys that had a bad experience with it. But I'm happy at the moment. I guess I did it as a precaution. I don't want to have to take it and get it blasted!. So I guess that's why I did it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
O. The only problem I was having was that it had started drinking gas like an alcoholic. Getting half of the milage I was getting out of a full tank of gas. But ran fine. No codes. Just crappy gas mileage that was starting. It looks new and I want to keep it looking and running that way. I'm anal about my Bug 馃ぉ

Registered
Sounds like good results; to confirm a carbon issue, pulling the plugs and inspection with a mechanics endoscope, may be in order? This might be something you can rent from a auto parts store, have a shop do a inspection or purchase; from harbor freight or elsewhere online.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts