NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.8T NB seems to be dragging, (like it barely wants to start the car). It finally starts up on the second spin, but the first one is really weak. The battery and the electrical seems to be fine. Does anyone have any answers to what this might be?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
My 1.8T NB seems to be dragging, (like it barely wants to start the car). It finally starts up on the second spin, but the first one is really weak. The battery and the electrical seems to be fine. Does anyone have any answers to what this might be?
When you say your battery "Seems" to be fine does that mean you had it tested? Just because it looks okay doesn't necessarily mean it is. I would have it tested.
Also check your battery cable connections from the battery to the starter. Sometimes a bad ground can cause issues with the electricity going where it needs to go. The starter itself could be the culprit but my money is still on either the battery itself or a bad ground connection at the starter or battery.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
x2 on the battery or the connections, but I would check the negative AND positive connections first. Not so much with the top post mount batteries used in the NB, but I am always having problems with the positive connections corroding on all my vehicles with side mount batteries, so much so, that when I have a starting issue, that is where I go, second nature. Get the battery tested, and then if nothing found check the ground connection to the frame. Also check the main fuse box atop the battery for damage similar to that shown in this thread -
Main Fuse block issues
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52338-morav-needs-some-help-helping-someone-else-org-battery-fuse-box-issue.html

To properly test a starter, it needs to be bench tested, but before going to that trouble and expense you might do a voltage drop test between the battery and the starter, but like IT said, I don't think you'll have to go that far.
Starter Voltage Drop Testing (excellent)
http://www.excelauto.com/online/Tech.d/strvdt.html

The ground connection to the frame (Loc #1) location is indicated on the diagram I put up in this post -
Ground Locations
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/53169-1998-beetle-toatally-dead-ecu.html#post763884

M.

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have the battery test first, and then check all the cables for corrosion and bad grounds. Then I will go through the fuse panel to make sure it all looks legit. I will try to work my way down the list until I get to the starter.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Give a shout out if there is anything we can help with!

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the battery checked, they said it didn't have enough voltage to start the car properly. So, I'm going to have the battery replaced ( I will do it, any thing I need to know about replacing the battery?) and then see what happens. If the battery isn't the problem, I will go in and have the alternator checked next.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I had the battery checked, they said it didn't have enough voltage to start the car properly. So, I'm going to have the battery replaced ( I will do it, any thing I need to know about replacing the battery?) and then see what happens. If the battery isn't the problem, I will go in and have the alternator checked next.
It is more than likely the battery and you probably don't have to mess with the alternator. (Cross your fingers)
If you haven't already replaced the battery you may want to check into getting a dry cell Optima battery. It is the last battery you will ever need.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you're planning to replace the battery yourself, you've no doubt noticed that the battery is mostly encased with a set of plastic housing bits-and-pieces. Some care will be necessary to replace the battery without damaging the various plastic bits-and-pieces.

I would suggest that you follow the procedure documented in the Bentley "Volkswagen New Beetle Maintenance Manual" (see attached page-scan). Just reverse the battery-removal process to install the new battery. :)

Good Luck! :cool:

Attachments

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replaced the battery. I first made sure I had a memory backup and a telescoping magnet. ( I found these two items to be essential!) Replacing the battery was enduring, yet easy (I'm going to do a detailed thread on this for others). Car is running great! Working the kinks out of the car. I have to say, the 1.8T is a great car! I have a few things left to work on it, then it will be to chip it for a little extra pep. Any suggestions on that? And I want to do some new exterior mods such as a new spoiler and a front lip. Suggestions there to. Thank you all for the help! You all are great people and I'm glad to be a member of such a wonderful site!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Replaced the battery. I first made sure I had a memory backup and a telescoping magnet. ( I found these two items to be essential!) Replacing the battery was enduring, yet easy (I'm going to do a detailed thread on this for others). Car is running great! Working the kinks out of the car. I have to say, the 1.8T is a great car! I have a few things left to work on it, then it will be to chip it for a little extra pep. Any suggestions on that? And I want to do some new exterior mods such as a new spoiler and a front lip. Suggestions there to. Thank you all for the help! You all are great people and I'm glad to be a member of such a wonderful site!
REVO would be your least expensive option for a Stage 1 Tune. They dropped their prices on all 1.8 tunes from 499 to 399.
I have the REVO stage one on my Beetle and LOVE it! Car really came alive and has new found power. A lot more fun to drive and the best overall performance mod you can do to a turbo charged engine.
Glad you got your car fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts