VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2005 1.8Turbo Conv.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced water pump, front engine seals, thermostat, and tensioner pulley, and auto-tensioner. I pulled the pin on the new tensioner, pulled up manually on the tensioner pulley, then tightened the 8MM Hex bolt on the tensioner pulley during reassembly. After completing the repair, took it for road test. Then, for safety's sake, took the timing cover to reinspect my work. The timing belt was still in place but a little loose for my comfort. I reached down to the striker plate of the tensioner pulley and was able to feel that the striker pin on the auto-tensioner was not directly in contact with the striker plate on the pulley. Did I miss a step on the installation of the auto-tensioner? I thought you simply installed the parts, pulled the pin, then completely tightened the tensioner 8mm bolt. btw - I thought it might be a bad aftermarket auto-tensioner, but from the casting stamps it appears that the auto tensioner is identical to the Audi part with the Audi symbol omitted.
Any thoughts or experience is appreciated.

Thanks-
Mfife

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
tensioner

Sounds like a defective part cause that's all there is to that tensioner, just pull the pin and it should put tension to the timing belt. I would stop driving it around untill you fix this problem cause your timing belt could slip a tooth or two and then your KAPUTTTT LOL :D hope that doesn't happen. good luck man.

·
2005 1.8Turbo Conv.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Defective tensioner???

Really ccnfused now. Pulled the timing cover again and it is tight. Ran the engine while observing the belt and no flopping - looks like steady tension. Stopped it and checked again. All tight. My conclusion is that if the engine stops exactly as the belt vibrates toward the pulley and tensioner, you will have a slight loosening in the belt. It is not considerable play, only enough to make me concerned that I did something wrong. After reviewing other threads of VW's with less than 40K miles having the same result, I am convinced that this is a flaw of a hydraulic tensioner. If the hydraulic tensioners were designed with non-returnable indexing the belt would always be tight. Instead they seem to work more like a shock that can move in two directions. (otherwise it would be impossible to reset the tensioner in a vise).

·
Registered
762 Posts
I thought it might be a bad aftermarket auto-tensioner, but from the casting stamps it appears that the auto tensioner is identical to the Audi part with the Audi symbol omitted
Sounds like you got C.R.A.P.

Chinese
Replacement
Auto
Part

Cheap parts are just that, cheap parts. The dampener piston should always be pushing outward, it takes a LOT of effort to push the piston back down, more effort than what the belt/roller tensioner is going to provide.

Maybe you will get lucky and nothing else happens.... but then again, I won't be surprised if a future post from you comes up that mentions bent valves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts