NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
ricka1
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to work Monday in my 2K 1.8T and my tranny starting making a loud tapping noise when I would either let off the accelerator or depress the clutch. I couldn't feel anything through the pedals or steering wheel and it seems to accelerate, shift and drive fine. The tapping frequency tracks with the road speed not engine RPM. Even the slightest acceleration makes the noise stop. Ive been driving it like this for four days now as I don't have the time or money to take it to the shop.

Is it the diff? If so, how hard/expensive is it to fix. If not what might it be? Lastly, will driving it cause any problems or damage?

Thanks!!

Rick

·
Registered
11,545 Posts
Take it somewhere to get it diagnosed; if its internal, it needs to come out and taken apart to figure out what the problem is. You could very well be making the repair more expensive as you drive the beetle.... this is typically the case for any catastrophic failure in a engine or trans. The damage has been done; get a diagnosis and then make a decision about what to do. If its possible; stop driving the car and get some professional help to figure out the problem. If it is the trans; options of a used one or rebuilt are out there...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts