VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2001 vw 1.8t beetle. Sadly I was not able to change the timing belt out in enough time and it snapped...on the highway which trashed the top end (it had 110k miles on it and i was going to change it that weekend!! damn luck). Anyways, found another beetle with a 2.0l in it with a bad trans and was wondering if i could put the 2.0l engine on the 1.8t trans. They are the same year and both automatics. Any help would be appreciated!!
-Shep

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
This just a guess, but I would say no.
What's the chance of the two engines having the same bolt pattern? Slim to none would be my guess.

Sent from my Peace Love and "Six for Six" app

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Any 4-cyl trans will bolt up. At least they do with the manuals so I'm sure the autos are no different. Not sure on the gearing differences, which is more important.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
For the manual transmissions, as long as the first three digits of the transmission code match, they should bolt up just fine; however the only question that I would have to answer is whether the transmission spindles are the the same size/length.

The second three digits of the transmission is it gear ratios. If the swap does work you might find that the 2.0 needs higher rpms to prevent lugging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts