VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 New Beetle Turbo S
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could this be caused by the door problems I have? I’m pretty sure there’s a short in the driver’s door wires that go into the car.

Fuses ok, battery cable just fixed, it was frayed so we put a new end on it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Clicking is often a drained or dead battery or a loose cable connection. I doubt the door short has anything to do with the starter clicking unless it’s draining your battery.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I think it’s a group 45 H5, here is a diy and discussion about that subject.

The battery on the beetle is a tight fit. I usually take the 10 mm bolt that holds the power steering resivor in place loose so the resivor can be moved out of the way. It sounds like a lot of fiddling but it really only takes a few minutes to pull the battery and replace it.

I find the toughest most frustrating part of battery replacement on the beetle is getting that power steering bolt restarted in its hole.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Just to be clear check your battery before replacing it . One of the most frustrating parts about car repair is getting a new part installing it and having the same problem as before.

Get a multimeter . With the car turned off just sitting your battery should read 12.6-12.8 for a freshly charged or new battery. 12.4-12.5 on a somewhat older but still good battery, 12.2-12.3 on an older battery that may start giving you issues in the coming months. 12.1 or below your battery is essentially dead or discharged and needs either replacement or to be charged.

You can also have your charging system checked for free at places like autozone, carquest etc.

·
Registered
2002 New Beetle Turbo S
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The battery is good, checked it & it’s 12.6-12.8. It must be in the connection where the wires were frayed, maybe the new clamp isn’t put on correctly.

·
Registered
2002 New Beetle Turbo S
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!!! It was the connection, all fixed & my car & I are both happy again!!

·
Registered
2002 New Beetle Turbo S
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, fooled again!! The no-start, clicking happened again today. Now we’ve tested in a different way & I’m told it’s the alternator. Any words of wisdom for that? I’ve found the diy to change it. Maybe that’ll be all the wise words we need!?!!

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Good testing info:

If everything seems ok; you might get the starter tested, they also wear out and can have a sticky stater solenoid or bad commutator areas. I've found oem Bosch staters and alternators; to be the best quality replacements.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Bad ignition switches, historically; have also, been a issue causing problems with starter actuation. Easy swap and do not cost much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 New Beetle Turbo S
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We just changed the fuse box on top of the battery. Could the red and black cable (on the left) be the problem if it’s the wrong size making the alternator test as bad if he checked the alternator from only the battery posts. I didn’t see him test it, so I don’t know what he used to test it or how he tested it.

I want an easy fix - not the alternator or the ignition switch (changed that last year) but something simple, see-able & reachable.
Electrical wiring Circuit component Office supplies Cable Audio equipment

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
You have to do a process of elimination, do not assume anything; test the charging system, starter, etc; until you find the problem. Most local auto parts stores will test the charging system and starter for free.

I had a bad starter once, that sporadically wouldn't spin; it got worse over time, until it happened all the time and started getting really hot to the touch, actually started smoking!

Don't fire the parts cannon!

Diagnostics is a process; test, confirm the problem, replace bad parts, test again, to confirm the repair, etc.. parts are expensive, confirm a problem and bad parts, before replacing them.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
If you are working with the 02 Turbo S; the starters are unique for the 02M, most stores will get you the 02J 5 speed version. You can look up the right part number on the Bosch website:

Note: the Turbo S; has the 02M six speed transmission and not the 02J 5 speed.

Service manual:

Starter:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
In addition to what billy has pointed out, if your battery is staying fully charged as you indicated earlier your battery was 12.6+ this would seem to indicate your alternator is working properly. If you’re battery is still in the 12.6+ range I would not be looking at the alternator.

One thing I have seen with starters is the wire running between the starter body and the solenoid mounted to the starter goes bad. That wire is a thick copper wire about 3 inches long it turns green and crumbles especially if you’re up here in the salt belt. If that wire looses connectivity the starter will just click occasionally and then finally do nothing at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts