VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 New Beetle 1.8t with 116,000 that recently had a new head put on due to snapped timing belt. (stop laughing :))

Even when this car was new it seemed to have a valve tick on the next to last valve on the intake side and has been verified by an app I had on my phone for decibel reading. The old cams were used and the exhaust cam sprocket seal leaked like a drunk on 2 for 1 night. Being an engineer by trade and grew up in a motorcycle shop and being married for 28 years the moans and groans finally became to much to handle regarding the spots in the driveway.

Now I do understand that all my years spinning wrenches on motorcycles and the last 30 years engineering does in no way shape or form qualify me as a car mechanic BUT she has had 3 of these damn things over the last 10 years or so and I have replaced 9 window regulators 4 oil pick up tubes several of the cheap plastic so called hoses and my god only knows how many oil changes and little things that don't require much time since I work like a pack mule and don't have a whole lot of time to do major jobs but am confident in my abilities to do them.

Upon removing the leaking rear cam sprocket seal I noticed the man had dug a groove with a screw driver getting the seal out (trying to fix it when her did the job and gave up). MI have since taken emory cloth and a stone and gently gotten rid of the gouges and even took the time to go over the end lobe of the cam to ensure it's smooth as well and am about to put it all back together with new seals that I might add have the spring in them.

My question is should I bite the bullet and replace the cams or can I simply get them resurfaced? I have ordered a new lifter for the intake #3 side that I feel is causing the tick and would like to do this as painless as possible IF possible. :)

IMHO the idea of not using an inner cooler and running the oil through that hot ass turbo and not telling folks that American oil has a different viscosity rating compared to German oil seems like an idea the design engineers cooked up at their local pub to screw with us Americans just like that damn plastic wheel used on the bottom part of the window regulators at $600-$700 a pop and lets not foget the door latches that short and won't drop the window for the convertible top. lol

If you go to your local Jiffy Lube or oil change facility and allow them to run their cheap barrel oil in these things you WILL burn a turbo every 70-80 thousand miles or so and the internet is filled with the same story time and time again.

I will say the darn car makes her happy so we married guys know not to poke the bear with the stick if we want lovin so simply put the damn bug stays. Gotta love it. The cam does show signs of not having any assembly lube used on the top end job and as stated they are the same cams that were in it when the belt broke and bent the heck out of the valves.

Oh another thing leave the stock radio alone for after I had a nice system installed and they cut into the wiring harness error codes and infrequent fault lights were in spuratic to say the least. Oh and the dealer cannot turn off the air bad light since they don't have the 2 wires to remove the non factory radio. GO FIGURE.

Over the years I have traded all of these jobs for ...let's just say love tokens so once you get good at them it works out in the end lol but simply wanted to ask the experts regarding the valve tick it has had since it was new but have noticed it getting louder (about 10-15 decibels on my phone app :)

Wow I feel better ty guys for allowing me to vent 10 or so years of working with a good car that has a few half ass engineering mistakes that I feel are intentional to get back at us Americans for some reason or the other.

Have A Great Day

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
Just as an fyi, they do have an intercooler. Its a side mount in the passenger wheel well. I'm on the stock one on my GTI and its tuned to stage 2 and it has no problems (Its at 136k, tuned since 129k). I run synthetic 5w40 only in it and its happy as can be. And this is what VW tells you to run in it so those going to Jiffy Lube and getting junk oil put in and burning up a turbo, well, that's their own fault.

I don't notice any ticking in my car (same engine mostly, but its the 180hp version which is found in the Turbo S as well).

Can't really help with the cam - not familiar enough with the inner workings of these to give insight. But I wish you good luck in getting it sorted out! VWs can certainly be quirky things. We have 3 of them right now and know them pretty well, but even still, they can sometimes make us smash our heads against the wall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is very close and as I heard was a broken cam adjuster. Interesting ty for the info any and all is much appreciated.

Have A Great Day

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I replaced a cam chain tensioner; on a 2001 Jetta 1.8T, the chain was noisy all the time! It is normal; for the chain to be noisy, on start up; as the tensioner has to pump up... with the oil pressure but after a little amount of time, it should quiet down. If your tensioner is noisy; you might check for sludge issue; common, on the 1.8T for this to clog things up. This can cause the tensioner to not pump up and oil starvation in the head; I also, have about heard of cams breaking/seizing, from a lack of lubrication (again, sludge/clogged pick up tube; low oil pressure). Needless to say; correct VW spec. synthetic oil; is crucial! Based upon the head damage and noise; I would also, want to confirm the pickup tube isn't clogged, there are no sludge issues and that the oil pressure in within spec. Check out this thread; for more info and helpful links/videos:http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/85194-putting-back-together-need-some-help-2.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pads I paid to have replaced last year were not done and did also have a stuck puck on #3 cylinder on intake side. Gotta love the phone apps lol. Anyway took my time and all went well for timing was a tooth off and I'm guessing he didn't change out my pick up tube ass well so guess what I get to do next weekend? Guys I hope I didn't offend anyone with my first post. They are fantastic little cars and would recommend to anyone just have a few unessary issue's that simply astound me. 15 cents additional solder would damn near solve the door switch issues on the convertibles and a stiffer plastic or God forbid metal lower pulley wheel would help on the regulators but hey its only time and money who needs to fish or play golf right?

Besides I wouldn't have gotten the chance to meet some of the fine folks o this forum and for that I'm thankful for knowledge is power and some of you have it in buckets.

Ty again for the help off to rip off a darn oil pan fish can wait mini Me's bug cannot.

Have A Great Day

1 - 6 of 6 Posts