VW Beetle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Ok The 3 13mm bolts that are on the pump sprocket look like they have moved all the way to one side of their ovaled slots. To confirm this back one of the bolts out and see where it is in relation to the slot. Take a pic if you want and post it. If the bolts are all the way against one side of the slots then your timing will be severely retarded which will not allow your engine to start. I suspect if that is the case that it would have been caused by not getting those bolts tight enough after resetting the timing.

Regarding the timing belt. I'm afraid that the previous owner put a belt and components on your car that came directly from china. I would change the entire timing belt system out as soon as you get this starting issue sorted. Here is what a quality belt kit costs. Sixty dollars won't even buy a good water pump.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I'll defiantly get that timing belt replaced. That's not something to mess around with.

Here's a picture of the pully. It's in the center so I don't think timing is the issue. Plus when the engine was running a few days ago I checked timing on VCDS and it was within what it should have been.

I think I may have an air blockage. Where the EGR/Anti Shudder Valve are is pretty clogged. I stuck my finger in there and there was a lot of grime in there. I had looked at it before and saw a thin layer on the end of the pipe but didn't actually examine the pipe further. I'm wondering if the turbo hasn't been working properly since I purchased the car 2 years ago. The previews owner said she would regularly drive the car at 90mph on the highway. I've had trouble getting it up to 70mph. With all the oil that was in the intercooler I'm wounding if it's all up in intake manifold. There is oil in the pipe that goes from the intercooler to the EGR/Anti Shudder valve.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Water Alloy wheel

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Is this the best tutorial on how to clean the intake manifold?
INTAKE MANIFOLD CLEANING 101

Also I saw something about cleaning the Snowscreen on the diagnosing limp home mode forum. I've never done that so I'm guessing that's something I should do at some point. Is that something that could cause a no start?

Do you think the turbo should be cleaned?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The CCV valve has also been leaking. Could this be related to air intake problems? I've replaced it twice but it still leaks. First time I got some cheap brand and then replaced it with a more expensive one (I'm pretty sure the one currently on there is a Bosh.
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Black Hood

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
CCV should'nt cause a no start. A plugged intake manifold will cause power loss but unless it's completely closed off the car should at least start.

My preferred cleaning method for an intake manifold. 15 minutes and done.

The IP bolts look correct so I think you're ok there.

The snorkel is the plastic pipe attached to the other side of the air box. If it is plugged it could cause a no start or at least a hard start. There is a fine mesh screen in the snorkel that was originally intended to keep your engine from ingesting snow/water. Many have removed their snow screens I have on all 3 of my diesels. I'm not sure but what the snow screen may have been some German over engineering. They do plug up with debris..bugs, dirt and such.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The intake manifold is pretty clogged. I tried to clean it some without removing it but I might go ahead and remove it and give it a proper cleaning. I'm running low on things to troubleshoot the no start issue and it looks like it should be cleaned at some point anyways.

It looks like the snow screen is hard to get to. I tried removing the air box and reconnecting the hoses and MAF sensor that way I could crank the engine without the snow screen but still getting filtered air. The engine still wouldn't start. I saw that the pipe connecting to the snow filter was cracked and I bet the filter is probably pretty dirty. I'll put the snow screen on my list of stuff to do later once the car is running again.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

I'm starting to wonder if it's a computer issue keeping the car from starting and I might just need to take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Don’t try and clean the intake while it’s on the car, you can’t help but knock crud down to the bottom of the intake and then it gets sucked into the cylinders and can damage a valve.

Is the wire that is connected to the top of the IP still connected and in good shape?

Set the engine to TDC and see if it has somehow jumped time. Here’s a link to the timing belt change instructions. The first order of business is to put the engine at TDC. Hit the orange download button.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Unfortunately I've already tried to clean the intake manifold and have tried cranking the engine since then. Is there something I should do or just hope for the best?

What's the IP?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
At this point you’ll have to hope for the best on the cleaning part. IP ..injection pump.

Did the previous owner give you the timing belt tools I saw listed with the belt kit? If you have those tools I would put the engine at TDC as I said above and see if the engine is still in time. Although one tool I do not see in that kit is the cam lock.

Also I noticed the belt kit did not include the single use bolts that the motor mount uses. You must remove the passenger side motor mount during a belt change, so those bolts need to be changed which means that the previous owner likely reused the old motor mount bolts.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I reread your entire thread. Are you sure the glow plug light comes on every time you turn the key? My old 2000 Golf the glow plug light would come on sometimes and sometimes it wouldn’t. When it didn’t come on my car would crank and crank but wouldn’t start. It would start right up when the light would come on.

Also When you are attempting to start does the rpm needle move to 2-300 rpm on the gauge?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The wire is hard to trace. Here's the best I can do without taking a bunch of stuff off. The way the end of the wire is cut makes me think it hasn't been used in a while. I also can't see anything near it for it to connect to.
Automotive fuel system Gas Bumper Automotive wheel system Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Finger
Musical instrument Automotive tire Rim Automotive design Bumper

The wires to the IP and the IP shut off valve pass a visual check. I checked for voltage to the IP shut off valve and made sure it was clicking when the key was turned.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Car Automotive exterior Gas

I do not have the tools to change the timing belt. Can I just spin the engine at the crank shaft with the 19mm 12 point socket?

I haven't checked every time but is seems like the glow plug light comes consistently. The rpm gauge doesn't really move much when cranking the engine but I usually don't crank the engine very long.

One thing I've noticed is that the first time cranking after letting sit it will usually fire for a couple of seconds when cranking and then stops firing. If I try to crank it again it won't fire any more. It seems like it's getting enough fuel and air to run momentarily and then runs out.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
If the rpm gauge does not registrar while cranking then the likely culprit is the crank sensor. Try cranking and pay attention to what happens if anything to the rpm gauge.

That wire was likely replaced at some time in the past and the old one was just left in place.

How does the fuse block on top of the battery look?

41 - 60 of 75 Posts