NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my nephews 1.9 turbo diesel in my shop. I am a mechanic, but know little about vw diesels. (general I send vw customers to the dealer, but hey.. my nephew...) So here is the problems.
1. lack of power, High picked turbo whistle at idle, becomes a siren scream at 2000 rpm, check engine lights reads MAF but comes and goes. Drove it to a foreign repair shop and asked the owner what he thought. Well he didn't like vw diesels. But gave me some things to check. Here is what I found and did. I checked the air box, lines fittings, okay. I pulled what I think is the EGR which has a throttle valve, vac pod. Its bolted to the intake. It was blocked with grim and soot. The vac pod line was broken, the throttle plate would not operate. I completely cleaned it, blew out the exhaust tube, scraped out the intake, cleaned it with tooth brushes and parts cleaner. 2. reassembled parts, started, ran, seemed to have better throttle response. Then an odd sound, resembled a cat convertor rattle. Turbo kicked in and out at 2000 rpm then IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg a clank, crunch, no more noises. 3. A few minutes later, a heavy grayish white smoke. White is normally water burning, but this smells like old engine oil, not sweet like antifreeze burning. Revived it up and sparks, and flames shot out, when idled down you can hear fumes burning in the exhaust system. Black soot on the ground from the exhaust. Completely floods the lot with smoke. I have some ideas of what happened, but just guesses right now. 4. BAD TURBO? oil seal on turbo shaft, bad turbo bearings, plugged cat convertor. Anyone have the same problems or results.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
The entire intake needs to come off, it will look clogged just like that EGR. If the turbo is pulling oil past the seals, you can have a runaway. The engine will run on its own oil. That means it revs until it blows. Turning the car off won't stop it. I highly suggest you check TDI Club forum for a guru in your area. I also suspect your VNT actuator is not working properly. Unplug the MAF, if it runs better, you need a new MAF. This is a common failure.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am also a tdi owner and I love it. This forum is really great to chit chat and see has a lot if useful info and great people. However, for tdi specific problems, there is NO better source than tdiclub.com. There is a plethora of information on that site.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I would say to clean out the entire intake for sure. But with the turbo making noise before everything, I would be willing to bet the turbo needs to be replaced. Be very careful with that, as stated before. If it fails and leaks oil, you can have a runaway which will really damage the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turbo problem found

Thanks for the replies. The turbo shaft had broke, Pumping oil past the seal on the exhaust side only. It damaged some impellers as well, which explained the noises. My nephew bought a used turbo. It was also completely plugged with carbon in the egr and intake. I cleaned, soaked, scraped, used bottle brushes, tooth brushes to clean out the whole intake and egr. Will try include pics of the old turbo and the "new used" intake. thanks again. IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Glad you are getting it sorted! Good news that the oil was on the hot side. Your pics make me really want to take my EGR apart to check it for plugging (I've recently picked up a 2000 Jetta TDI, btw).

Hey, can I ask a favour? I'm about to replace the oil return line on my Jetta. Can you tell me the size of the bolts that hold it on the turbo?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
All the reasons in the world to remove the ERG on a TDI the moment you get it.... right here in this thread.

·
Yellow Ducky
94 Posts
I would say to clean out the entire intake for sure. But with the turbo making noise before everything, I would be willing to bet the turbo needs to be replaced. Be very careful with that, as stated before. If it fails and leaks oil, you can have a runaway which will really damage the engine.
I had this issue with my 1.9L Diesel Engine, 139,800 miles, and replacing the Turbo, plus return oil line, fixed the problem back in May of 2013.

To help keep it clean, I use Diesel Kleen Ocetane Boost with each fill up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts