VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
My lil fallen Angel <3
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand there are people that hate Volkswagen but I'm just wondering if this is something I should worry about?

A person I know of there beetle died and since then the a guy in the car group I hang out with has started saying when my beetle turns 100,000 miles her engine will blow too! I try not to act like it but it has started worrying me. I looking into extended warranty.. Any opinions would be great

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
59 Posts
As I said over on FB, your friend is an idiot when it comes to things automotive to make a statement like that. So much depends upon service/ maintenance, and the way the car is driven. If you take care of any modern car, it should easily go 200K miles.

Extended warranties are not worth the money. If you do decide to get one, be sure to read it yourself so you know what is covered and what isn't. Do not rely on the person selling it to tell you. Find out about deductibles and how you go about getting repairs done under warranty. Then check with your state's Attorney General to see if the company has any complaints or unresolved issues. After all that, I think you will agree it isn't worth the money.

·
My lil fallen Angel <3
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Billymade
She a 2010 new beetle engine is the normal 2.5l

Ol'yeller
I wouldn't say the guy a friend. He gets on a few people's nerves! I unfortunately have to hear him bad month my beetle and GTI!

I'll go Friday or this weekend to the dealership with my husband and talk it over. I just worry I like to keep my beetle on the road maybe pass it down to my daughter

·
Registered
112 Posts
worry

Our 03 Beetle is my wife's car, and my co-workers tease me about it being a "girl's car". That might be true- it does have a flower in the vase, but I enjoy driving it and am not concerned if it looks like I'm driving a girl's car- it's a great looking car! Dave

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

Billymade
She a 2010 new beetle engine is the normal 2.5l

Ol'yeller
I wouldn't say the guy a friend. He gets on a few people's nerves! I unfortunately have to hear him bad month my beetle and GTI!

I'll go Friday or this weekend to the dealership with my husband and talk it over. I just worry I like to keep my beetle on the road maybe pass it down to my daughter

I think your friend was referring to the timing belt busting and ruining the engine. 2010 is too new yr model for me to give any advice on but I believe that yr model has a timing chain. You might want to google search that to confirm it has a timing chain which you don't have to worry about it busting on ya there is no maintenance required on timing chains unless the car has 500k miles or something like that.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
'06+ 2.5L cars all had timing chains. But they do need maintenance and to be checked out, its just not quite as likely to have a problem as a belt. For example, the early 2.0T's with the chains had tensioner problems I believe.

A chain system should be checked and made sure the guides and tensioners are all in good shape. They will need to be replaced. Chains aren't a maintenance free system, just less problem prone than a belt setup.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Definitely, have your chain and tensioners checked for wear; if the chain gets loose, it can bend valves in the head, just like a failed timing belt.

Many on the vwvortex 2.5L forums; seem to be recommending 100k to 150k replacement interval, to be safe. VW doesn't seem to list a service replacement interval; on their service schedule.

Here is a diy; so you can get an idea, as to what is involved: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...g-Chain-Replacement#/topics/7256946?_k=qjgisg

Keep in mind; this is a relatively major job and the transmission will need to be removed, a good time to replace the clutch, if you have a standard transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts