VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow beetle lovers!

I'm at about 140,150 miles on my 2005 GLS Convertible (2.0L), and it is due for the 140K maintenance. I bought the car about 4 years ago with roughly 130K miles on it, and the TB had been replaced the year before. This is my first major scheduled maintenance, and I've had a trusted mechanic (whose since moved) handling all of the oil changes, etc up till now. However, now that I'm looking for someone new to take over, I'm wondering if it's best to try to find someone local who works on VW Beetles or to simply go to the dealership to have it done. I'm a student, and my biggest fear is someone intentionally screwing up my car to get more money out of me, or the dealership screwing it up to get me to buy a new one – I can afford neither of those things. And so, I'd truly appreciate any advice you all can give on where to take my little Crayon to get the love it deserves.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I guess it depends on what the car needs; much depends, on how it was maintained in the last 16 or so years.

2005 New Beetle Maintenance Schedule

If cost is a primary factor; you might consider, getting your hands dirty and do some diy maintenance, basic needed repairs.

If at this time, 16 years, 140k; you are unclear about the cars overall condition any needed maintenance, VW offers a free inspection, have them check for any recalls. After doing that, you could report back here and we could discuss things further and work through your list if needed repairs, prioritize, what needs to be addressed first and what you can wait on, do later.

The VW dealer, should have a list of needed repairs, after the inspection and possibly a estimate of the costs involved.

Note: you are under no obligation to have any repairs done at the VW dealer and they will typically be the most expensive repair/maintenance option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you billymade! I think this is a very reasonable path to take. I've done some minor things on my own like changing out the battery, tending to the tires and such, but I assumed DIY wouldn't be possible with a maintenance of this magnitude. However, perhaps after getting it inspected, I'll learn that the car's needs are minor and probably something I can take care of on my own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts