NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riddle me this...Why would my ATF fill plug be seated nicely under the motor mount? I’m lowered under H&R Sport springs and that’s it.

·
Registered
13,523 Posts
I just did a full service; fluid/filter on a 09G last week, the fill plug method works but you can also use the "fill port" on the front of the trans, that has the plug and red lock ring on it.

As shown, in the first photo of this DIY; we used a combination of the "adapter" that came in the Blauparts service kit and then, later, the fill port. Like many auto trans fluid/filter changes; things can get very messy and it is easy to spill fluid, in the removal/refill process, not exactly "fun" and I ruined a old pair of pants, I was using, when doing this trans service, plus we used allot of "kitter litter" to clean up the multiple spills we ended up having. This was even using a lift; so, I can imagine, doing this on jack stands, could be even more of a potential mess. What I learned the second time around; was, (if I had followed the blauparts directions); remove the drain plug, for some fluid removal and then, remove the plastic fill level insert, to drain the rest of the fluid in the pan. Then, when you remove the pan; you will won't spill a bunch of old fluid like I did! :)

Note: the first photo of this diy and the red locking ring, the cap and the gray bent fill port.

In my case, the transmission pan; was impacted in four different places and so, it would not seal correctly and to fix this issue, we had to buy a new oil pan. So, we had to pull the pan off two times; then, install the new pan and gasket. That finally fixed the leaking issues and in that swapping process; we reused the new added trans fluid and discovered the fill port later.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just did a full service; fluid/filter on a 09G last week, the fill plug method works but you can also use the "fill port" on the front of the trans, that has the plug and red lock ring on it.

As shown, in the first photo of this DIY; we used a combination of the "adapter" that came in the Blauparts service kit and then, later, the fill port. Like many auto trans fluid/filter changes; things can get very messy and it is easy to spill fluid, in the removal/refill process, not exactly "fun" and I ruined a old pair of pants, I was using, when doing this trans service, plus we used allot of "kitter litter" to clean up the multiple spills we ended up having. This was even using a lift; so, I can imagine, doing this on jack stands, could be even more of a potential mess. What I learned the second time around; was, (if I had followed the blauparts directions); remove the drain plug, for some fluid removal and then, remove the plastic fill level insert, to drain the rest of the fluid in the pan. Then, when you remove the pan; you will won't spill a bunch of old fluid like I did! :)

Note: the first photo of this diy and the red locking ring, the cap and the gray bent fill port.

In my case, the transmission pan; was impacted in four different places and so, it would not seal correctly and to fix this issue, we had to buy a new oil pan. So, we had to pull the pan off two times; then, install the new pan and gasket. That finally fixed the leaking issues and in that swapping process; we reused the new added trans fluid and discovered the fill port later.
Photobucket watermark obscures clear viewing ☹

1 - 8 of 8 Posts