NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have 17 inch Wheels, and I want to change to 19 inch wheels with low profile tires. Is necesary to change also springs? or it fit whitout any changes in original suspension?
Thank you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That's a loaded question. There are two considerations at work here -- width and overall diameter.

I'm guessing the 17" wheels and the 19" wheels are different widths. That means the offset differences (or backspacing differences if that's what one prefers) will come into play. In the final analysis, how much room does one have between the inside of the rims and tires to the shocks and springs?

When I did a full blown handling package for my '71, one thing I could (and did) get was a narrower suspension. It was aggressive and allowed me to me more aggressive with brakes, tires, and wheels.

Unfortunately, I know zip when it comes to water-cooled offerings, OEM or aftermarket.

The next thing to consider is overall height (diameter). If one is going to maintain a similar overall diameter, the tire on the 19" wheel will be very low profile. If it is a taller combination with the tires on the 19" wheels, the suspension better have less travel or you will get severe rubbing.

Furthermore, if the 19"wheels are wider and spaced away from the suspension enough, the outside of the wheel and tire may be in line or protruding past wheel well. Without a super stiff suspension set-up, you could be setting yourself up for some serious fender fouling.

If all of that is figured out, your set-up may be perfect for a well maintained track. On many common streets, however, you may find that kind of a set-up to be teeth chattering rough while the car unapologetically bounces over every little imperfection rather than cornering on rails. (If you're going for look rather than performance, just ignore my last paragraph.)

I spent more time researching and measuring this aspect for my '71 than all other considerations combined. The results were fantastic but I still had to do some tweaking along the way.

My question the populace on the site is: Who has 19" wheels and what is your overall set-up? This will lead to a better answer for ramonvw1953.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts