NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres my problem. I just bought a 1968 baja bug. Now I dont know if anyone has ever seen The Trophy Bug by Kreger Fabrication, but it will be similar to that but alot cheaper. Now in his bug he used a 2800cc type IV engine. That is a sweet little engine with alot of power but considering that the motor runs around like 18,000$ fully built, I just dont have that kinda of money to blow on an engine so I was wondering if there were any alternatives routes for me to go. One of my buddy's mentioned a subaru motor do to them being small and producing a good amount of horsepower. But i really would like to stick to good old VW tradition and go with something that has about 290-300hp but is at least under 10 grand. If anyone knowe's motors outside of VW and if anyone has any information about the subaru motor that would be great. Thanks

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
This might be better in the air cooled section....

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
for 10 grand you could build a pretty sick 2275 with a turbo and be somewhere in that neighborhood

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The old standby of using a Chevy Corvair air cooled turbo charged six cylinder would be nice. Considerations for others are cooling. Where are you going to put the radiator? In front or in back? Air flow for cooling. Added weight of the water cooled is going to need planning for proper balance. Water cooled motors seem to work best as a mid engine, and not a rear engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts