NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ya'll, I could really use some help I'm stuck and ran out of ideas. Got the car from family 3 years ago drove great the first year. Until it stalled out while driving to church. A few times. I replaced the crank sensor, camshaft sensor, did a timing belt, water pump, new maf sensor, new plugs, new wires, thermostat, new vacuum lines. Then parked it for a year cuz I didn't want to mess with it anymore. So now I'm back at it wanting to get it fixed for my daughter who just got her license. I finally got my obd2 scanner to communicate with the ecu. And the codes that came up were throttle body (I believe). So I pulled it and cleaned it. But still the same condition. Any one have a clue....... I sure would appreciate the help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will post the codes when I get home. I was using torque pro. But just bought the obdfusion, with my elm727. I have not done the throttle body alignment yet, because on here I have read to do it for 30 seconds and/or 1 minute....... so which one should I do? Thank you so much for the help. I will post the codes when I get home after work.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Well, you don't have a VW factory level scan tool; that is able to do the procedure, in the prescribed fashion. Some, have claimed; the "poor mans tba", is just turning the ignition key on (not starting the engine), until the sounds of the throttle body go away, is sufficient and it should work (there is a debate; as to if, this is truly the same thing).

Here is a good video; going over cleaning and doing the throttle body alignment procedure with VCDS by Ross Tech:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, yeah I used his video to clean it. But I still need to do TBA, (side note I don't hear the gears or any noise on the TB when the key is on)???

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Scan for codes and post any you find. If you don't have any noises; coming from the throttle body, when you turn the ignition key/switch on, you may have a electrical/connectivity/power problem?

·
Registered
13,128 Posts

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
I would replace the coolant temp sensor and it seems, you are not getting power to the throttle body or the throttle body is defective.

Here is a thread, where a member with a 1.8T; finally fixed, some throttle body issues with terminal ends and the plugs, causing problems with connectivity, power to the throttle body. While, it is a 1.8T, the principles are the same; defintiely, something to test and check out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Billymade, awesome. This gives me a few things to start with and check out. I really do appreciate the help man!! I'll get back when these are done

·
Registered
13,128 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, but this one is really easy. You need VCDS aka vag com to do the throttle body adaption. The poor man's adaption or any form of rain dance other than using a scan tool to do the adaption will not work. I believe the snap on Solaris will do it also. If it will not adapt after a couple tries then get a new throttle body. You do not need to get the VW brand but you do need to get the Bosch or similar OEM supplied one. The $25 generic ones will not adapt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, but this one is really easy. You need VCDS aka vag com to do the throttle body adaption. The poor man's adaption or any form of rain dance other than using a scan tool to do the adaption will not work. I believe the snap on Solaris will do it also. If it will not adapt after a couple tries then get a new throttle body. You do not need to get the VW brand but you do need to get the Bosch or similar OEM supplied one. The $25 generic ones will not adapt.
Thank you for the help. I was curious how much is vag-com? I can rebuild motors, fix damn near anything. But I don't have a shop, this is the only vw car I have. But if that will fix the issue than it is what it is. I'm just wondering why it ran last year then over a few days just quit. I get that parts will go bad, so if I need it replaced. you say go with Bosch. Would I have to do an adaptation? Also what of those other codes? Are you able to offer any advice for those? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No matter what, you will have to adapt the throttle body. Any replacement etc etc needs adapting.

You can get a Chinese cracked VCDS for $15.

It will do the basics. I used one for 2 years on the older Audi and vw, but I did buy the real thing. With all the long coding reference material in tact on the real deal it was more than worth it for the advanced stuff I am getting into. Get a hex+can version not the k1. I will look at the other codes and post again but what I have read so far, this is classic lost adaption.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
OBDeleven and the Ross Tech VCDS are popular options;

I would recommend a true genuine version of Ross Tech VCDS; it is important to support companies, that support the VW community and @ $199, it can be seen as a legitimate investment and typically, pays for itself, after one or two repairs, that it enables you to do. Ross Tech is developed in the USA in Pennsylvania, has true/steller USA based support (phone call in, support forums, widely used in the pro vw repair field, most videos/help is based upon the use of this tool, which makes it even more beneficial to have it).

NOTE: These cables, hold their value, if you decide, to sell it later on; you typically get most of your money back.

OBDeleven, is a cheaper option and is a wireless bluetooth dongle, that uses Android devices and a dowloadable app, to work (older white colored version; seems to be working better, then the buggy newest black one). This is a immature product and relatively new; so, expect bugs, lesser support from Eastern Europe and everything you might expect, from a new start up company.

There are many "VAG" Chinese scanners but they can be buggy, have almost zero support and are probably, not as useful or as compatible as OBD11 (as they say; your milage may vary).

Keep in mind, "you get what you pay for"; Ross Tech, is a solid company and I have been using VCDS since 2007, worth every penny, they have helped through their support forums, when I have called their phone support and it has saved me thousands of dollars in repair costs. VCDS is the real deal; you won't be dissappointed. :)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts