NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 462 Posts

·
Techie
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update 12/04/10

Hey guys and girls! How was your weekend. So obviously we didn't get any work done on the bug because it was at school all weekend but it turned out we got more work than I thought done today :) So we were able to screw in the rear calipers and salvage them, as well my teacher was able to pick up my parts so now I have all new brakes! We ended up not taking off the left rear carrier, and was able to take the rotor off and slip the new one on! Woo hoo! So the brakes are awesome, now to solve all of the electrical problems :S Should be interesting :p

I also grabbed some things on the weekend for the car. I picked up some plate protectors (but their going on the 'scort and the plate protectors from that car are going on the bug). As well I was able to get a friend to pick up some VHT niteshade! Hopin' to make this a clean lookin ride once I'm done!

The plate protectors and VHT niteshade (Excuse the mess, got to clean up :p) :

Only the best magazine ever!! Actually read this before I owned a Veedub :p

Clean lookin' mk II golf!!

The progress from today:

All the parts:

The only corner we got done due to time:

Thanks for viewing my thread!! I love all the ideas I get from people and all the encouragement is sweet! I love this site!!! It gives me so many ideas :)

P.S. Does anyone know the PAINT CODE for this colour? I went to Napa to get it custom mixed and they said I needed a paint code and I couldn't find Techno Blue on the paint chip sheet. If anyone knew that would be awesome :)

·
Techie
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update 04/15/10

Hello everyone :) Tomorrow is Friday and that is awesome! Closer to the weekend. So over the last couple of days I have been super busy so I haven't been able to post anything up. Well we got the brakes done and tuned up everything (Spark plugs. fluid levels). Also my teacher checked the car with his Vag-com and it looks like I'm gonna have to get two new door latches for the remote to work again! I'm still not sure on what I am going to do but eventually I would like to get it fixed. We also fixed the burnt out light bulb in the fog light so it works again! Winterbeetle is up and running again, although my teacher is going to take it out to make sure the back brakes arn't seized still.

So heres some pics:

Here he is on the lift:

Here are the brakes that we pulled off of Winterbeetle and off my teachers Golf VR6 GTi (Mint car)

And here he is sitting out side :) Enjoying he sunshine!

I was wondering if someone could answer this question I have in my head. If I was to move the license plate from the normal place to the grille (so down) would it have a massive effect on the car (eg. the cooling from the rad)?

Also I'm ordering a stubby antenna cause that long one is bothering me :)

·
Techie
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update

Hello everyone!

So work on the Beetle has gone, well lets just say, ok. A lot of things have slowed down my progress on the car. In fact today I have been unable to work on the car at all because I'm sick :( Anyways over the last couple days we have tried to work on the issues we are having (Power mirrors, door locks, gas cap and the parking brake). The power mirrors were checked and there is some electrical glitch with them and are at the moment not going to be fixed. The door locks were also looked at with the vag-com which told us why the door remote isn't working (The computer is receiving an implausible signal).

Currently the big problem is the gas cap. The servo that pulls the cable is not receiving any signal/electricity. So unfortunately there is some electrical gremlin hidden in the car :(

The second biggest problem is that the parking and rear brakes don't work that well. After careful examination it looks like we are going to have to replace the rear calipers after all along with parking brake cables.

Oh yeah, also was able to replace the cabin air filter. I LOVE HOW EASY IT IS TO REPLACE!!! :)

Anyway, PICTURES :)

Cabin air filter before:

Cabin Air filter Compartment before:

After:

After it's all done :) :

Back in the shop :(

Re-polishing the headlights (sanded down):

Working on the rear brakes and gas cap:

The new gas cap servo (Thought to solve my problems :p

Free touch up paint from my teacher :)

Thanks guys for checking out my form! I have a whole bunch of plans for this car! At least appearance mods :)

·
Techie
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well really didn't get much done on "Winterbeetle" today. Unfortunately my teacher had other ideas for me :p Wanted me to teach some one else how to change oil. But I was able to take the car out for a quick boot. Man are these cars ever fun, even with it being automatic :) Also the intake sounds really good for a cheaply made!!!!! I think I officially got bitten by the beetle bug ;) Update tomorrow, when I get the new rear calipers!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I fell in love with a 2004 used beetle that is the same color blue as that and I want her so bad. But at the moment I don't have enough money to buy herself. ANd I picked out a name for her and everything.....was going to name her Ariel. LIke the Little Mermaid. Cause the color of the car reminds me of the ocean. ANd good luck with getting yours nice and pretty.

·
Techie
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
nice man. any updates on the touch up paint
Thanks bro, I appeciate :) Not yet the car isn't out of the shop :( My teacher keeps pushin' me off working on that to help him with other stuff. But this week I'm refusing to budge :p I want it home :) We got the rear calipers and parking cables though!

·
Techie
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I fell in love with a 2004 used beetle that is the same color blue as that and I want her so bad. But at the moment I don't have enough money to buy herself. ANd I picked out a name for her and everything.....was going to name her Ariel. LIke the Little Mermaid. Cause the color of the car reminds me of the ocean. ANd good luck with getting yours nice and pretty.
Man, this colour is actually really nice :) I quite like it. I love the fact that people around here, all truck guys, bug me :) It makes me laugh so hard :D I love it! It makes me want to drive it even more! And I hope you can magically come up with the money for Aerial :p You could send it to me ;) Thanks for the encouragement! I am going to do alot of work, but it will be worth it!!

·
Wienerdude
148 Posts
I was wondering if someone could answer this question I have in my head. If I was to move the license plate from the normal place to the grille (so down) would it have a massive effect on the car (eg. the cooling from the rad)?
I've had mine zip tied to the grille for probably a year now, and haven't noticed any significant increase in coolant temps.

-Nice car, keep us updated!

·
Techie
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm really enjoying this thread! It's cool to see the progress of Techie (is that prounounce like Tekkie?) and the photo journal is choice. Keep the pics coming and all the best on your progress... it's coming along nicely:bigthumb:
Thanks man :) I really hope the car turns out well :) I just can't keep anything stock! I have a disease :p And yes it's pronounce Tekkie. Hope to get the brakes started tomorrow.

21 - 40 of 462 Posts