VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I even begin?
Ok. I really need some advice.
Bear with me on this confusing adventure.

I have a 1998 2.0 Beetle, Automatic.

My starter began slipping and so I was having my mechanic replace it. I ordered a new one, which fits a 1998 2.0 Automatic Beetle.

Thing is, when we pulled the starter out of my car, it looked a bit different than the one I had ordered.. but I didn't order the wrong one or anything.

The one that came out of my car has a rod sticking out past the teeth, like so:

and the one I ordered not only had no rod, but also had a dome that the teeth came out of rather than coming out of the starter portion itself.

Here's where it gets confusing.

Went to the parts store and had them look things up, and of course, all the starters "for my car" have a big dome on top of it and no rod, HOWEVER, the one for a manual Beetle has the rod.. even though my car is an automatic?

Here's an even trickier thing
Apparently the build is different from before March of 98 and after March of 98, and while my car was built AFTER March, the rodded starter is for models that were built BEFORE March..

So I ordered that
and went to install it today
Nope.
Does not fit.
Two differences between it and the one that came out of my car

1.) There's a slight base before the teeth, so they are out a bit further

2.) There's 10 teeth, while my Starter has 9.

So.. What the heck?
I don't understand what kind of Starter my car takes.
It's a huge mystery.

I look up Beetle starters and what's strange is that the Starters for the ORIGINAL Beetle look identical to the one that came out of my car, except for the fact that the mounting brackets are horizontal, rather than diagonal.

Best idea I can think of right now is to get the original Starter and just tilt it a bit so the mounting brackets will lay sideways.

What the heck is going on here?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
It is COMMON; for aftermarket starters to be wrong or not have the right starter for your particular application/car (typica; issue at your average auto parts store). I would stick with BOSCH; which was is the oem for VW and the brand, that was in your car from the factory.

Use Bosch's or VW's website; to find the correct starter for you car, worst case scenario go to your VW dealer with your VIN # to confirm the right part. If you still have your original starter; there should be a part number on it or on a sticker.

Bosch as ONE listings for your car; it looks like the one you have pictured with NO SUPPORT SHAFT:

Remanufactured Starter Bosch Professional Preferred Remanufactured Starters are built for extreme heat, cold and high demand. Every component is 100% factory tested prior to and during remanufacturing to assure it meets or exceeds original equipment specifications.
Transmission: Automatic, Engine VIN: B

Installation Restrictions: Bosch is the OE equivalent supplier

Part Number:
SR0424X

https://www.boschautoparts.com/auto/alternators-and-starters/remanufactured-starters?partId=SR0424X

The OTHER starters they have listed; are for STANDARD transmissions but they have the support shaft on them.

On the VW site; NEITHER of the starters listed, have the support shaft:

Volkswagen National eStore

I guess the question is; whether or not the correct starter was installed in your car, in the first place? Since, there is all this confusion; to find the CORRECT starter, I would go to the local VW dealer with your VIN #/NUMBER and see what part number, they say is the correct one.

Aside, from that; do you know, if the original transmission or engine is still in the car? It is possible; someone, put a later model engine or trans in the car, at this point?

If you still have the original starter; what brand is it and what is the part number on it?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Here is a VW dealer; that sells parts and you can search part for your car, using your VIN #. Go to the search area and input your VIN #, then search for the starter and see what part numbers come up, then search with that part number and see if there is a picture of the starter. Then, you can see; if the starter looks like the old one you have. Hopefully, that can clear up the mystery of which is the correct starter. Again, using the part numbers off the old starter; could be a possibility as well.

If you have no luck; you could call Bosch customer service with your old starter part number and see , if they can match it up for you. I have called Bosch tech support before, they answered ALL my questions and were really helpful.

BOSCH AUTOMOTIVE CUSTOMER SERVICE:

Contact Us
1-888-715-3616
8AM - 5PM CST MON-FRI

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is COMMON; for aftermarket starters to be wrong or not have the right starter for your particular application/car (typica; issue at your average auto parts store). I would stick with BOSCH; which was is the oem for VW and the brand, that was in your car from the factory.

Use Bosch's or VW's website; to find the correct starter for you car, worst case scenario go to your VW dealer with your VIN # to confirm the right part. If you still have your original starter; there should be a part number on it or on a sticker.

Bosch as ONE listings for your car; it looks like the one you have pictured with NO SUPPORT SHAFT:

Remanufactured Starter Bosch Professional Preferred Remanufactured Starters are built for extreme heat, cold and high demand. Every component is 100% factory tested prior to and during remanufacturing to assure it meets or exceeds original equipment specifications.
Transmission: Automatic, Engine VIN: B

Installation Restrictions: Bosch is the OE equivalent supplier

Part Number:
SR0424X

https://www.boschautoparts.com/auto/alternators-and-starters/remanufactured-starters?partId=SR0424X

The OTHER starters they have listed; are for STANDARD transmissions but they have the support shaft on them.

On the VW site; NEITHER of the starters listed, have the support shaft:

Volkswagen National eStore

I guess the question is; whether or not the correct starter was installed in your car, in the first place? Since, there is all this confusion; to find the CORRECT starter, I would go to the local VW dealer with your VIN #/NUMBER and see what part number, they say is the correct one.

Aside, from that; do you know, if the original transmission or engine is still in the car? It is possible; someone, put a later model engine or trans in the car, at this point?

If you still have the original starter; what brand is it and what is the part number on it?
Weird. The one you pictured without the support shaft actually doesn't look like the one I posted because the dome doesn't pop out nearly as much.

The one out of my car is/was a Bosch. I have taken some photos of it to show you.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a VW dealer; that sells parts and you can search part for your car, using your VIN #. Go to the search area and input your VIN #, then search for the starter and see what part numbers come up, then search with that part number and see if there is a picture of the starter. Then, you can see; if the starter looks like the old one you have. Hopefully, that can clear up the mystery of which is the correct starter. Again, using the part numbers off the old starter; could be a possibility as well.

If you have no luck; you could call Bosch customer service with your old starter part number and see , if they can match it up for you. I have called Bosch tech support before, they answered ALL my questions and were really helpful.

Contact Us
1-888-715-3616
8AM - 5PM CST MON-FRI
Also, I bought the car used, but it was from Volkswagen themselves. Only had 50k miles on it when I bought it, so I don't see why it would have had a new engine or transmission inside of it.

I uploaded an image of the original starter. I don't know if there's a part number on there or not? Which number would it be?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
I can see a couple of different number on there; you might need to clean up the starter; to see them. Please post them up here. Also, did you call your local dealer with your VIN #? They should be able to get you the correct part number for your car.

I think; I can see this part number in your picture : Bosch: 1005821499

That number looks like a good number; you might call Bosch for a equivalent rebuilt unit, that they offer now.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bosch 1005821499

Call Bosch Customer Service and they should be able to tell you which new or rebuilt Bosch starter to buy:

Contact Us
1-888-715-3616
8AM - 5PM CST MON-FRI

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Wow, that is crazy. As Bill mentioned before, I would take the started from your car to a local VW dealership parts department, and bring along your full VIN#, so that they can confirm the exact replacement starter for you.

That's what they do for their Technicians, and they should be able to do it for you.

Second option, is to possibly switch out the solenoid from the new starter to the older starter that you took out of your car. If the mounting points are the same, and the ground and power wire connections are the same, then you could use the new solenoid.

But, my 2cents is to start at the parts counter at your dealership.

Hope you can get this one resolved, seems quiet the mystery.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Contacted my VW Dealership where I purchased this Beetle and they couldn't help me at all.. Gave me 2 part numbers that they had for Bosch, and the one was for the manual Starter with 10 teeth (wrong) and the other was for the one without a shaft.

Here's an interesting update, though..

Look at this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B007Y86FF0

This looks identical to the one that came out of my Beetle, but it says it's not compatible with my Beetle, but compatible with a 2.0 Jetta...

Is there any way that my 2.0 Beetle somehow has a 2.0 Jetta engine inside?

I think I'm going to order this and try it out.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
The Jetta/Golf/Beetle are essentially the same car; the engines, are the same engines they put in all the cars. So, mechanically; they are the same platform and share many of the same parts.

You MAY or MAY NOT; have the right part you found on amazon but confirm the correct part first! PLEASE, contact BOSCH customer service; BEFORE ordering parts! They made the original part and they should be able to match up and get you the same/correct part you need!

Please call them now and eliminate, wasting time on ordering incorrect parts!

Contact Us
1-888-715-3616
8AM - 5PM CST MON-FRI

I have a feeling; the starter maybe, the same application for the Mark III Volkswagens (Jetta, Gold, Cabrio, etc.) and maybe, went through a mid year production change, of some sort.

PS: post up the part numbers; Volkswagen gave you, did you give them your VIN #?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Have you checked to see what your engine code is?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called Volkswagen and they were no help, even with VIN and such, they knew nothing and could only pull up the part numbers for my model car, and even with that, they don't even have images of the actual parts, just a generic image for everything.

However, I took my old starter to O'Reily Auto Parts and they were able to find the exact part for me

And so I found out the issue:

My 1998 Beetle has a Jetta motor inside of it.

I'm a little concerned seeing as I purchased this (used) from VW themselves. Would this have been a factory installation, or is it possible that someone traded in this bug with a blown motor and the dealership replaced it with a Jetta motor?

I'm not concerned because it's from a different car, but I'm concerned because I purchased this car with 50k miles on it, but if it's not the stock motor, I have no idea how many miles are on this motor.

Does this happens sometimes when companies manufacture cars? They'll use parts from other cars? It's a 98, so maybe they ran out of Beetle motors and they used Jetta motors instead because they didn't want to stop the assembly line? I don't know.

Glad to finally figure this out

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
As noted before; check out what the engine and transmission code is. That may; help you figure out if it is a stock Beetle or Jetta, Golf, etc. engine. As I said before; all of the New Beetles, Jettas and Golf are from the same Mark IV platform and share many of the same parts. Because of this; it is possible to install parts from these different cars and they will work with varying degrees of success. How do you know; that the engine was replaced and that it was from a Jetta?

Here is a page; showing the typical locations of the engine code: (note: how the engine code is in multiple vehicles: e.g. golf, jetta, new beetle):

http://www.blauparts.com/vw/vw_engine_code/how_to_find_vw_engine_code.shtml

Some of the "vin check" sites; will indicate, when a major repair by a VW dealer has been done, like a engine replacement etc. Your local VW dealer; might have this information on file as well, if done by a VW dealer.

This vin decoder; may be able to show you some info about the repairs done to the car and what the engine factory code when it was manufactured. I have been told; that some of the factory remanufactured long blocks, do not have the engine codes, stamped on the head like the original ones do.

VIN decoder is the best online tool to check vin number | VinDecoderz.com

Here is a file; showing all the different engine and what cars they were put in and when they were installed on the production line:

http://vag-codes.info/files/engines/vw-engines.pdf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts