NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a nubie here but not a nubie around cars or fixing stuff. I went to school for electronics so I have removed most of the Beetles electrical bugs so far.

Heres some history on the car. A little over a year ago the car stalled in traffic while my fiance was driving. After a lot of trying to start it she finally got it running again. A few days later I was driving it and the same problem happened, this time we ran the battery dead and had a friend jump us. It took a while and it finally started. This happend a few more times and usually after a while it would finally start again. Another strange coincidence was the alarm would go off in the middle of the night, or while driving the hatch indicator would light up. Also the driver side window regulator came apart in the door.

So with all of these problems and the hazards of the car dying while she was driving I told her she should find another car, this time a Honda Civic. I decided that I would attempt to fix these problems on my own rather than taking it to the dealership for a huge bill. So after a year of it sitting and my fiance moving to our future home I need to get the car running and sold before her old landlord gets mad for it still being there in the driveway.

The other day I tried to start it and the battery was nearly dead(duh its sat for a year)I then put a charger on it and proceeded to change the window regulator cable system while it charged. I also disassembled the door latch mechanism and found a bad solder connection in the micro switch assembly. I put the door back together and I also found corrosion on the rear hatch micro switch connector. I cleaned that and tried to start it. It still wasnt charged so I checked the acid and one cell was low. I figured I could maybe jump start it but that didnt work either. I then decided to call it a day and get a new battery.

The next day I put a new battery in and it will crank but not start. I then removed the air cleaner assembly and tried some starting fluid. It would fire but die really quick. So I then removed the engine cover and noticed a broken vacuum line running to the fuel rail. I replaced that and tried to start it again still no starting.

Now I was getting a bit flustered. I checked the dash fuses, all were good but no power on fuses 28 32 43. The owners manual says engine management and fuel related. I then tried an obdII scanner and found code p0322. So I researched online including Vortex and a TDI forum(similar electrics right?). Po322 is crank sensor and many VWs had a faulty fuel relay 109.

Now today I unplugged the crank sensor and replugged to make sure the connection was good. Rescanned OBDII and now no codes. Tried to start her and still no fire. Next I pulled lower dash panel and inspected all relays for burnt smell or obvious problems. I didnt see a 109 relay but they all seemed ok. Next I jumped a hot fuse to fuse 28. Now I hear the fuel pump, and fuse 32 and 43 are hot. I also hear fuel at the fuel rail. Still no firing.

I just found out what relay is for fuel after researching more online. Just to make sure is it labeled 409 and in position 4 on the lower relay panel? I am totally stumped here. Is my ECU fried, fuel relay bad, alarm(door switches) bad, Throttle position off due to dead battery for a year, or another electrical gremlin?

Sorry for the huge post, I thought I'd tell what I've done so far and what I'm capable of. Please Help!!:confused:

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
An NB with challenges; off the top of my head, seeing how it sat for a year, I would replace (if you have not already) the spark plugs, wires, coil, and check the MAF and cam sensor and the ignition switch has been related with power drains.

Regarding the door locks, there are two one in each door, so check the other one as well. If one is armed and the other not, it will confuse the ECU.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Change the crank sensor.

There are threads regarding cars that break down or fail to start and often it's this.

just a thought. Otherwise you have immobiliser issues maybe.

regards, Ian

·
Full Metal
317 Posts
this happened to our bug, wife took it to some hole in the wall parts store/garage on her moms suggestion, btw, to get the battery replaced, anyways they didn't know that the computer will forget its programming if you disconnect the battery with the key in the ignition, long story short they fiddled with it and came up with bubkis all the while trying to charge us out the wazoo, we had it towed to another garage that deals with vw's and got it re-programmed, after that it ran fine. same thing you describe, multiple no starts followed by a brief sky high rev then dead. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well,the next day, I checked under the dash and tested the fuel pump relay. It seemed good so I investigated the crank sensor again. I unplugged it and tested it with an ohm meter. There was no continuity between any of the connections. I then looked at the wire and saw the insulation was cut in one spot. After about an hour trying to squeeze my big hands between the fan and sensor I finally removed it. I spliced the wires and tested for continuity again. I finally had some resistance measurements on the crank sensor. So I stuck the sensor back in and plugged the connectors together. I put the key in the ignition and voila the fuel pump relay cycled on and off. I turned the key over and nothing... So I tried again, still no fire. So I then sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body. Cranked it over and it fired and ran! So I left it running and after about 10 minutes it died, tried to restart it and nothing also no tachometer movement. So now I realized not only did it have a bad wire the actual crank sensor it self is bad. I ordered a new one and will be putting it in tuesday.

I really have to give props to you modern VW guys. With all the over-engineered and poorly engineered parts in these cars its a wonder Volkswagen is still in business. Whos bright idea was it to make a coolant housing and dipstick tube out of plastic, much less all the other plastic junk in these automobiles? I will be glad to get this Bug out of my fleet...

BTW I have nothing against the classic VWs. Just yesterday my future father-inlaw offered me a rusty Super Beetle and a even more rusty Karmann Ghia. Once I get done with my 80 Honda Civic Wagon resto-mod, I may tackle the Karmann Ghia.
Thans for the input and suggestions everyone.

Is anyone interested in a Black 98 with alloy wheels, factory spoiler, new serpentine belt, new driver side window regulator, repaired micro switches, and only 52,000 miles?

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it. Also, if you want to sell.. people here like lots of pics.. just a suggestion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts