NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased this vehicle and have an A/C problem. When the A/C is activated, both fans come on, the compressor clutch engages and warm air blows out the air ducts. I have checked the low pressure side of my A/C and it reads 35PSI with the beetle A/C not on and drops to 28PSI when the A/C is activated (seems normal). Yet, warm air is still coming out of the air ducts. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Seems like it might be a low charge. How quickly does the compressor cycle when the A/C is on? It should stay on for at least a minute or so when you first turn it on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The compressor clutch engages immediately and does not disengage. No cool air is felt from the ducts at all. Could this be a problem with the 'vent door' or a climate control issue?

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
That low side pressure is too low. It's not empty, but it needs more. If you don't know how to do AC, get it to a shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Did not think the suction pressure was that low, at 28 psig, to get stictly warm air but will take it up to 35. I will post my result.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts