NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Beetle Bug and have a few problems. I have just owned it about two months. For some reason, my keyless entry stopped working. I only have the one key. Is there anyway to reprogram it without taking it to the dealer? Secondly, I don't have any back up lights and another headlight has gone out. And lastly, my airbag light is on. All of these are new, except the back up lights, and they evidently didn't work when I purchased the vehicle. I really appreciate any suggestions that you might have. I called the dealership, and the quote they gave me was WOW - way tooooo much.
THanks!!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
the headlight - try and do it yourself. fowvay has a great "how-to" on this and it will save you at least $40. it only cost me $8 for the bulb and about 15 mins. of my time. here's the link:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171

as for the key, i think you have to have that reprogrammed by the dealership.:(

no back up lights: if they are not working, i'd just replace the bulb. however, if it's more than a bulb that's causing the problems, i don't know what to tell you.

good luck and keep us posted!

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
Amy,

Where are you located, chances are there is someone nearby that would be willing to help you out.

I know there is a way to reprogram the keys without going to the dealer using VAG COM, but I am not familiar enuf with the procedure to quoe it. it could also be that your battery in your remote is dead. have you changed it?

basically, we nee dto find out where you are to know who to tell you to get in contact with to get your car VAG-COM'd

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
On the 98, all you need is the VIN. The dealer will order a new Master key, and it comes with the correct chip for your car. Cost is about $80 (ouch!). Don't let them cut a new key for you which will require adapting it to your car.
It took about 10 days for my new key to arrive.
Most likely reason for the keyless entry to stop working is a dead battery in the key fob. It takes two batteries. The dealer should have replacements. Otherwise try Wal-Mart.
Air bag light can be a lot of things. Without the codes, hard to tell. Most likely is the connector under the seat. Have you moved the seats ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts