VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all , New Member and first time post. Working on a 98 Beetle to give my son as 1st car but starting to have 2nd thoughts. car had been running good then one day turn the switch and nothing. First thought was starter. But found out it would start by arching it at the starter.
So far Ive tried
Testing for power at the main starter wire - Good
Test power to the smaller starter wire - no power
Changed and tested Ign switch - Good
Tried and aftermarket relay - no change
Fooled around and touched something I shouldnt have I guess and now it will crank when arched but wont stay running. I guess it threw the throtte body off.

Hope someone will step in and help me out on the no crank issue then maybe the no idle .

·
5/23/10 <3
11,357 Posts
First off, what engine/transmission is in the car? How many miles? What work have you done to the car before this happened? What relay did you change?

Reactions: TotalNightmare

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 2.0 at around 120K miles . We had just drove it to town one day and it wouldnt start back.Had it towed. Arched it off at the starter and fired up. Checked the ignition switch had power there. Checked power at the starter main wire had power there.Checked wire that goes to the solenoid no power . According to the diagrams Ive found on the relay panel the previous owner has worked on the car before because mine appears to be a little different. I changed out #3 Starter relay did nothing had mine tested and it was still good anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If it's a manual transmission I'd check the clutch safety switch. They do go bad and when they do, they won't engage and close the circuit when you push the clutch in to start the car.

You didn't reply to SmileyBug's question, "First off, what engine/transmission is in the car?" so I'm just shooting in the dark, but if it's a manual transmission I'd bet a case of zima that it's the prolen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's a manual transmission I'd check the clutch safety switch. They do go bad and when they do, they won't engage and close the circuit when you push the clutch in to start the car.

You didn't reply to SmileyBug's question, "First off, what engine/transmission is in the car?" so I'm just shooting in the dark, but if it's a manual transmission I'd bet a case of zima that it's the prolen.

Its a 2.0 engine automatic transmission.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which wire supplies power to the starter solenoid ? If I run a jumper across the starter and the solenoid it will crank . But when I put a test light to the solenoid wire and have someone try to crank I got not power .

·
Registered
21 Posts
FYI. An automatic transmission has a safety switch too, to ensure that the transmission is in park before the car can be started. Also, newer ones (I don't think yours has it) have a safety switch on the brake pedal to ensure that you press the brake before you can start.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok tried starting in N and made sure the brake was pressed, still doesnt crank . Thinking on trying to run a wire from the switch out to the starter solenoid . If that cranks the car does that mean the wire has a short or could I simply just be bypassing some other problem in the circuit

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok today I ran a jumper wire straight from the ign switch out to the starter solenoid and it fires . I took the starter lock rely out and run a jumper wire over from 6 pin to 8 and turn the switch and it fires. Plugged the relay back in with the cover off and turned the switch still no start. I didnt see the contacts on the relay even move but it I press the relay contacts together it fires.So what could be stopping the relay from becoming magnetized as it should ? Surely someone here has alot better grasp on electrical than me cause Im not much on it lol. I did take a 9v battery and touched to two of the pins and the relay clicked just fine . Im totally lost on this thing.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Maybe there is excess resistance in the circuit somewhere that doesn't allow enough current to flow to pull in the relay.

Is there any corrosion or damage in the relay socket? Maybe it isn't making contact in its socket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe there is excess resistance in the circuit somewhere that doesn't allow enough current to flow to pull in the relay.

Is there any corrosion or damage in the relay socket? Maybe it isn't making contact in its socket.
The P/N relay I dont know how to test, its a 9 pin relay the starter lock relay test good.Neither look to be corroded or burnt . I did pick up a new P/N relay and nothing changed , possible it could have been bad out of the box but Im wondering now if the P/N sensro itself could be bad ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's an interlock switch somewhere. brake or transmission probably; but there may not be an interlock switch on the brake pedal in a '98.

I'm guessing it's the transmission P/N interlock sensor (switch). Find the electrical attachment for the P/N interlock on the transmission, remove and jumper it and see if that causes it to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The car starting and shutting off is indicative of security, maybe your key went bad initially and you put the beetle in anti theft mode by jumping it, and might have spiked a module or blown a fuse somewhere as well. Check the ones in the hood carefully and also look at the security indicator on the cluster and see that it goes out when you turn the ignition on

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's an interlock switch somewhere. brake or transmission probably; but there may not be an interlock switch on the brake pedal in a '98.

I'm guessing it's the transmission P/N interlock sensor (switch). Find the electrical attachment for the P/N interlock on the transmission, remove and jumper it and see if that causes it to start.
Do you mean at the relay panel with the relay pulled, jumper there or take the plug loose from the P/N switch itself and jumper there? If so which pins should be jumped? Also since this happen I noticed the door lock switch isnt working either, dont know if that matters.I checked for voltage on all pins of the door lock switch and no power there but fuse looks good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The car starting and shutting off is indicative of security, maybe your key went bad initially and you put the beetle in anti theft mode by jumping it, and might have spiked a module or blown a fuse somewhere as well. Check the ones in the hood carefully and also look at the security indicator on the cluster and see that it goes out when you turn the ignition on
Jumped it over 100 times that way with no problems , didnt have the no idle problem until I started fooling around trying to adress the no crank . Didnt have the P1543 code before that either but yeah I fooled around and jumped at the wrong pin and saw a spark even since then I got the code and no idle. I did take both batt terminals off and touched together supposedly resets the system but still no idle. Maybe fried the throttle body or circuit , naybe it did put it in anti theft mode.How do I get it out of it if thats the case?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts