1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new to the boards here.

My latest VW project is a 1998 Beetle 2.0L

How to kill a German (Mexican) Beetle... No water required ‎(1999 bug)‎

It went through hell before I bought it after replacing the head and many many many other parts due to a bad water pump and over heating.

I have it road ready and all back together mechanically.

I installed the VDO gauges and 3 panel pod to monitor everything, it all looks good but I have 2 questions maybe someone can help me out with.

(1) should both cooling fans come on at the same time ? only one is kicking in at about 185F/190F the second fan never comes on.

(2) what is normal operating temp of the Beetle 2.0L ?

It seems to run a few degree's cooler then both my 1995 2.0L Jetta and my 1986 Cabriolet 1.8L, but only one fan is kicking in.

I am thinking the second fan is for when the AC is running and the car might reach a hotter temp the second fan kicks in for extra cooling that sound right.

Thank you

Ken

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
That sounds right. My hubby replaced a thermostat on mine & had me go exchange it because he said the new one wasn't working. I finally figured out why he was saying that. It runs about 185 or so before opening. That is NORMAL operating temp. I wish he would have told me BEFORE he changed it :p I could have saved him some work & aggravation.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
i run 200-220

on a side note i have my 2.0 bug and a 85 1.8l cabby

1 - 3 of 3 Posts