VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 New Beetle 2.0 Automatic has had a slight shudder to it at idle for a while, it never was a serious issue and only occurred at low speeds or idle. I recently had my transmission fluid flushed before a long road trip to see family, since that long drive the idle shudder has become more frequent. It used to only happen every so often, now it happens about 1/3 of the times I am idling. Also a few times while I am accelerating I get a very hard bump before accelerating. I have checked my odbII and nothing shows beyond a known p0422 which is a (probably) unrelated catalytic converter issue. It seems fine at higher speeds so I am hoping it takes me 600 miles home alright.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
14,192 Posts
A "shudder", could be a number of issues; would you consider it, a misfire or rough idle or something else? The "bump" and other things you are discussing; can you expound more on what you specifically mean?

Misfires, hesitation or other engine specific issues; typically, come down to ignition (coil pack cracked/failing, spark plugs, plug wires, etc.) or fuel delivery problems (failing fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, vacuum leaks, etc). After 23 years of use and I would assume; over 100k in milage, a bad/clogged cat, etc., a whole bunch of issues could be a cause, for a drivability issue. You might check, for "pending codes", on your scan tool and if you have live data, check things like "fuel trim", which indicates the current tune of the car (+ or - 10% would be considered in the "normal" range).

Do some research, check pending codes, view live data, etc and we can go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A "shudder", could be a number of issues; would you consider it, a misfire or rough idle or something else? The "bump" and other things you are discussing; can you expound more on what you specifically mean?

Misfires, hesitation or other engine specific issues; typically, come down to ignition (coil pack cracked/failing, spark plugs, plug wires, etc.) or fuel delivery problems (failing fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, vacuum leaks, etc). After 23 years of use and I would assume; over 100k in milage, a bad/clogged cat, etc., a whole bunch of issues could be a cause, for a drivability issue. You might check, for "pending codes", on your scan tool and if you have live data, check things like "fuel trim", which indicates the current tune of the car (+ or - 10% would be considered in the "normal" range).

Do some research, check pending codes, view live data, etc and we can go from there.

PS: here is a thread with a similar vehicle; his was running horribly and he had to do a number of tests, parts replacements and repairs, to get it running correctly.
Thanks for the reply! I'll try and check for pending codes in the morning. The shudder feels a bit like the shudders felt a year ago before I got the spark plugs changed. The jolt feels like it is slamming into gear and yanking forward.

·
Registered
14,192 Posts
The "shudder", sounds engine related (ignition, fuel related) and the "jolt" possibly, a motor/trans mount or a shift issue with the tranmission (I'm assuming you have a 4 speed 01M automatic)? What scan tool are you using?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "shudder", sounds engine related (ignition, fuel related) and the "jolt" possibly, a motor/trans mount or a shift issue with the tranmission (I'm assuming you have a 4 speed 01M automatic)? What scan tool are you using?
Sorry for the late reply. A lot has happened since I last posted. To answer your question I believe you are correct on the type of transmission. I am using a cheap Bluetooth odbII I got on ebay. After I posted this question the shudder and jerking got worse and it stalled out at a light once. It started back up and got me back fine. This morning I got in it to go to work, backed out of my driveway got 300 feet and lost power. Engine was running, rpm would go up, no movement. Some kind folks helped push it to the side of the road where it now sits while I try and figure out what to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmm, any trouble codes? To fill up the transmission fluid correctly; it requires, a specific procedure and it has to be at a certain temperature (maybe it is low on trans fluid)?

It has been showing a bad catalytic converter and had shown an evap leak code right before quitting. Doubtful that they are related.

·
Registered
14,192 Posts
Please, post any codes you are getting; you noted, the p0422 but this is the first I have heard about a evap issue/code. There is a history of evap issues; causing a no start condition, when the gas is filled up and there is a evap purge valve that is bad.

For dying and no start issues; I would be checking for ignition spark and fuel pressure.

If the tranmission was not filled up and is low, I could see, that affecting transmission operation, possibly causing it to not move or shudder?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please, post any codes you are getting; you noted, the p0422 but this is the first I have heard about a evap issue/code. There is a history of evap issues; causing a no start condition, when the gas is filled up and there is a evap purge valve that is bad.
Ill got the exact code to you when I get home from work today. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

For dying and no start issues; I would be checking for ignition spark and fuel pressure.

If the tranmission was not filled up and is low, I could see, that affecting transmission operation, possibly causing it to not move or shudder?
I got the other code, p0440. I am thinking about trying to get a friend with a truck and tow straps to drag me to a local shop to check the fluid level.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts