NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 VW bug just shuts off. Changed cam shaft sensor, speed sensor, thermostat, fuel pump , cooling fans , cooling fan relay, fues bux on the battery, and the battery, I do not see good flow in the reservoir but when car warms up top and bottom hoses are hot. I get no codes when it shuts off. 2.0 manual trans any suggestions on what to replace or test next?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Usually sudden shut down with no other symptoms is the speed sensor. You say you've replaced it. Someone here recently had issues with the wiring going to that sensor. The ignition switch could be a possibility. They are known to fail.

Do you have any other symptoms when it shuts down? When will it happen? While driving? Have you had any problems with the ignition switch?

You should clear out the hose going to the reservoir and/or the throttle body passage. This needs to be clear to allow air to purge from the cooling system. If enough air accumulates it can block the coolant flow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lost.......

No other symtoms, idol is fine. will sit there as long as its not moving. Last time went less that .5 mile and it just shut off. let it sit and started right back up again. I was reading about sludge in the radiator due to mixing coolant. I am going to try to flush out the radiator and see if that helps at all. Still need to see if the water pump is free spinning. I will update when I do more to it. VERY FRUSTRATED........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonna Try to get it to a shop

I am going to try to drive it to Advanced and get the codes read again. Last time there were none. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

One thing i noticed was after replacing the fuel filter the gas guage does not work any more.. could there be an issue with the fuel pump not working properly that would cause the car to shut off due to pressure not being right in the tank? just a thought.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
don't mean to insult your intelligence, but did you plug in the wires to the sending unit before placing the pump back in the tank?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The fuel pump came as one unit and honestly dont remember if there was anything to plug in on the inside. it did work when I first put it in then after a few issues trying to start it stopped working..... not insulting my intelligence at all. I actually think i am going to pull the fuel pump and take another look. I havent changed the fuel filter either so this may be another contributor....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fuel pump

okay so i checked out the fuel pump and found one of the quick disconnects were broken. is there a quick fix for this or do i have to take the entire hose out and replace it. can i just use a hose clamp??

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts