VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 vw beetle 2.0,had engine light on and checked code-p1365 throttle issue,took apart and cleaned,vw would start then die then no start but would crank,kept cranking it then lost all the warning lights then the engine light,hooked up scanner and no communication from the ecm.vw will crank but no gauges and no warning lights,i checked all the fuses and all is ok,what did I do and what should I look and check for?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
According to a website I found; it is your ignition coil at fault, if that is the case... it makes sense that your car won't start! The coils on the 2.0L; seem to have a problem where they crack and this causes problems. After you replace or diagnose the coil issue; I would realign the throttle body and that should clear up, that drivability issue. You might also; check that your battery is fully charged and also, do a hard "reset" of the ecm, by removing and touching the pos/neg battery cables for 30 seconds and re-installing them, back on the battery.

What sort of scanner; are you using?

P1365 Volkswagen

P1365 Volkswagen - Cylinder 4 Ignition Circuit Short to B+

Possible causes

- Faulty Ignition Coil
- Ignition Coil harness is open or shorted
- Ignition Coil circuit poor electrical connection

Help with Possible causes What does this mean?
Possible symptoms

- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

Read more: P1365 Volkswagen Cylinder 4 Ignition Circuit Short to B+ OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
key on warning lights and gauges inop 1998 vw beetle 2.0

Hi Billymade,i use a generac hand held scanner and sorry the code was p1565 throttle issue that is why I removed it and cleaned it,after reinstalling it the beetle would still crank but no start,i did this several times until the engine light and then all the warning lights stop coming on,i took off the battery cables and charged battery and reinstalled the cables and still with key on no warning lights and no engine light and no communication through the scanner hook up.Key on the head lights work windows and door locks but no warning lights at all.Was told might be the ignition switch but I started to wiggle wires by the starter and 1 time was able to get the warning lights on with key on but then they went back out,also no gauges seem to jump or work,my problem seems to be that I need to get my warning lights along with my engine light to come back on,where should I start?thanks randall

1 - 3 of 3 Posts