NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to store and ac was pumping nice and cold....was in for 2 mins came out started car and not cold at all. I checked all the fuses both inside side of dash #5 & #16..both good. Inside fan running ac light comes on inside...also check fuses on top of battery and all good and not burnt at all. Compressor is not kicking on at all and when I checked 134a it was showing really high...guess cause compressor wasn't running? Any ideas what to check first?...It went out just like that..and was running great no noises?...TY!
Also jumped 2 wired sensor near coolant sensor....all that did was raise the rpm's slightly still no compressor kick on at all.

·
Registered
291 Posts
On top of the starter is a 4 wire plug 2 of those wires supply voltage to the compressor. Make sure they are not damaged at that plug.

Click on the tdiclub logo and it should take you directly to a pic of my plug with a broken wire.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
A/c

are both electric fans running in the engine bay while a/C button is pushed in? What is the pressures on both high & low side? (Typical is 90-110 psi) when equalized.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are both electric fans running in the engine bay while a/C button is pushed in? What is the pressures on both high & low side? (Typical is 90-110 psi) when equalized.
Both fans are running....have to find some gauges first.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
A/c

If both fans are spinning, compressor clutch is engaged & spinning and pressure on the low side only comes down to 60-70 psi from the equalized 100 psi then your compressor is shot/dead.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If both fans are spinning, compressor clutch is engaged & spinning and pressure on the low side only comes down to 60-70 psi from the equalized 100 psi then your compressor is shot/dead.
Compressor clutch Does Not engage...but both fans run and ac light on dash lights up ...

·
Registered
11,211 Posts
Starting with a fresh scan for trouble codes; using a vw scan tool, is always a good first step and see if there are any codes, related to the a/c, other related systems failures. Here is a good video; on step by step directions, in testing and confirming power to the compressor, diagnosing the possible problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CKBq-LHqvo&t=9s

here is a case; where the a/c compressor clutch coil, has failed and will not actuate the a/c clutch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PHH5a8JK8

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
A/c

Compressor clutch Does Not engage...but both fans run and ac light on dash lights up ...
Hookup a set of manifold gauges and tell us what the pressures are high & low whith a/C off and when you push it "on" inside the dash. Just because the 3 green fuses on top of battery look good does not necessarily mean power is going through, I found out once that the problem is inside the fuse box contacts. So measure with volt meter to make sure the FCM is getting power.

·
phantom302
226 Posts
I fought the A/C on Heidi last year, going down the road, ice cold air one minute and the next hot air. After fault tracing the electrical system and the fan module I still had no a/c Got mad and put 12 volts to the A/C clutch and nothing. Replaced the clutch and have had cold air since.

·
Registered
11,211 Posts
I just replaced the internal pressure valve on my a/c compressor, it failed (high/low side pressures were close to the same). After the install of the new valve. Seals, gaskets, evac and fill, things are working again.

Let us know, how the clutch replacement goes and the quality of the parts you used. Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just replaced the internal pressure valve on my a/c compressor, it failed (high/low side pressures were close to the same). After the install of the new valve. Seals, gaskets, evac and fill, things are working again.

Let us know, how the clutch replacement goes and the quality of the parts you used. Thanks.
Probably put this on hold till next year....no time and knee replacement...and hunting coming up.

·
Registered
11,211 Posts
Ok, this week in new mexico; the temps are finally going to dip; below the high 90s/100s, so I can relate. I put my a/c repair off for 2 years and finally got so sick of being @ heatstroke levels, I finally fixed mine. If you ever do fix yours; be sure, to report back and let us know, how it goes. Thanks! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
billymade
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing