NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to all the great info I've found on this forum. I've recently bought a 99 NB (GLS, 2.0 5sp man) for my daily driver/fun car. It's been great, a few minor problems this site has helped with, but I've got an issue I have'nt been able to get much info on.

I'm getting a fluid dripping from the lower driver side radiator. It doesn't appear to be coolant, as it's oily, but it is clear and not engine oil. I though maybe it's power steering fluid, since the resivoir is nearby, but I don't see any leaks from the hoses (that I can see). Fluid is in the actual radiator fins and is collecting on a flange/piece at the radiator. I leak about an half ounce after driving for 10 miles to or from work. What leaks out evaporates after a few hours.

I have minor issues shifting (getting it into the right gear while driving), I'm suspecting I may need to change tranny fluid or adjust linkage. I don't think its gear oil as it's odorless and clear. PS fluid isn't low, no problems with brake, clutch operates well, no grinding, shifts 1st to reverse and back quickly with clutch.

Does tranny oil or PS route through the bottom of the radiator for cooling?
Can I eliminate brake fluid as not routing near the area?

I appreciate any insight.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Oil from the AC system?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope it isn't the AC. I would think I would loose AC if so. I'm still getting AC (yeah, it's that warm in the FLA), though it's not having to work too hard lately.

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
Leak, possibly from the clutch slave/master cylinder? That could be the clear fluid; how is the brake fluid reservoir levels, been lately; coinciding with your clutch shifting issues? :confused: Odd, that it is on the radiator area... take some of the dripping fluid; compare it (smell, consistency, etc.) with the brake, hydraulic fluids and see if you can ascertain, if they are the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leak, possibly from the clutch slave/master cylinder? That could be the clear fluid; how is the brake fluid reservoir levels, been lately; coinciding with your clutch shifting issues? :confused: Odd, that it is on the radiator area... take some of the dripping fluid; compare it (smell, consistency, etc.) with the brake, hydraulic fluids and see if you can ascertain, if they are the same.
No problems w/ clutch operation. It's hard to tell exactly what it is by the time it runs from where-ever and makes it to the ground. Today, the puddle is larger and did not evap, so I'm leaning towards PS fluid. I don't see a break line anywhere close. I'm now leaning toward a small leak in the PS hose, but it's location is just so weird and I can't see from underneath/above where it may possibly be coming from. If nothing else, it's tight. Was hoping someone else may have this problem or know exactly what is routed through the radiator for cooling, or is it just a coincidence the rad is picking it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a small drip of similar description, and what i found on mine was the windshield washer fluid tank/pump interface was leaking and this fluid was making its way towards the radiator. Remove right (passenger side) wheel, and you should able to figure out if this is your problem, as the tank sits just over the wheel well cavity. Just my $.02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts