VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 99NB has a problem first or all when placed in drive on a ramp, hill or slop it goes backward as if its in neutral until at a point where it starts moving forward. What causes this??? also have noticed that when shifting from park to drive it takes a few long seconds to start moving forward. yet once its driving [unless stopped] it drives normal.
what could my problem be? do i need to overhaul the transmission or can there be an electronic problem involved.?
I read that normally the transmission hesitates between reverse and drive; and at first i thought it was normal but as time has passed this has become worse.....anybody knows what could be going on with this?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Do a search on the 01M 4speed transmission and you will see that you have the worst transmission every built by VW.
Your valve body is failing which is causing slippage between your gears. If you haven't been driving like this for too long you may be able to safe the transmission by just replacing the valve body and the internal transmission harness.
If it has been going on too long than your transmission may need to be replaced or rebuilt. That my friend will cost you between 5000-7000 Dollars. The Valve body and harness can be replaced for about 800-900 bucks if you do the work yourself.
If you don't it will cost you about 1700 to have it done.
Did you ever change the transmission fluid in it? That is the number one cause of failure. VW deemed it to be a "lifetime" fill which is a bunch of crap. If you take the transmission pan off you will see what I mean. That gunk in there can't be called transmission fluid any longer. If you do order a valve body and transmission harness don't forget to get a filter and proper VW transmission fluid. Don't use generic off the shelf stuff from Autozone.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
No, 2nd worst, the ones in the mk3 models are the worst! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Touche, ;) I personally would never buy a VW with an automatic transmission. Those things are more expensive to fix than the engine. The 2006+ 6 speed tiptronics are a bit better but still are far from perfect and the true and proven 5 and 6 Speeds will outlast them any day. The DSG transmissions aren't too bad but require transmission fluid changes almost every 20k miles to avoid problems. So Manual transmissions win again. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts