NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The freeze plug which the timing belt tensioner sets into is leaking a minute amount. I cannot seem to find a source for a replacement. It appears to measure 20.8mm. Any ideas as to a source and or actual dimensions?

·
Registered
13,658 Posts
Did you check your vw dealer? You might search online through vw's parts site or etka?

www.parts.vw.com

Normal freeze/expansion plug kits; are coming up online but i don't know, if they come with the specific plug or size you need?

The vw dealer should be able to source them for you; you might ask this question, on the 2.0L form on vw vortex; i'm sure this has been dealt with over there at some point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue. It’s a labor pain to get to but and it’s a long story but once I got access to it I was able to clean both plug and recess. I then slightly expanded it using a socket and then reinserted it with another socket. I then applied some Shellac around that one and the 14mm just below it. I know you are not supposed to glue it but with the proper Antifreeze (pink) it should NEVER freeze, especially in the south. If you want new ones the VW can order them. Not expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anyone has a problem trying to locate or find the freeze plug that goes behind the timing belt tensioner it measure 24 mm and I was able to find the closest thing with quarters I ended up using a socket and beat the 2 quarters into the hole and have not had a problem with a leak or with them coming out I can at least say my car is worth $0.50 more now lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
The freeze plug which the timing belt tensioner sets into is leaking a minute amount. I cannot seem to find a source for a replacement. It appears to measure 20.8mm. Any ideas as to a source and or actual dimensions?
I used 2 quarters ... I just used a socket and beat the two quarters into place and I had a problem with it leaking or coming out since

1 - 5 of 5 Posts