NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this beetle used, has 175000 miles and last owner abused it. They poured watering the gas tank, let the brakes rust etc.

When I got the car I couldnt get it past 1500rpms and then to do that I had to pump the gas pedal fast. I drained the tank, replaced the fuel filter and pulled : cleaned the plugs and now she will easily get to 4500rpms if I slowly rev the engine or pump the pedal, but if I just step on it nothing happens. It's like the engine dies though if I let up on the gas it will keep idling fine. I have let it run for over an hour and it runs smooth. I don't want to replace parts guessing, can anyone guide me as to what to look for next?

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
First step is always to gather clues in order to find a 'direction' to follow in order to do repairs. Most auto parts houses will pull the codes free. And it is a good place to start.

S-

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
You could get an inexpensive reader yourself and find out what code it displays. It's a good tool to have and will make diagnosting your problems easier.

-jeffrey

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Depending on which area you live in? Several members would be able to give a hand.

If not? If you have a laptop or a smart phone? You're in good shape. The parts needed to turn a laptop into a basic scanner can be purchased off eBay or Amazon pretty cheap. Smart phone with bluetooth? Get an wireless adapter that plugs into the OBD 2 port on the car, and use a cell phone app.

S-

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Keep in mind, I like to buy stuff sold in America--and that one is located in China. (Then again? They are all made there--but considering shipping time....)

Check out the post Red listed. He's got some solid information and should help make the right choice.

I use a USB interface to my laptop--but it's a bit of a pain in the rear end to drag the 'Crap-Top' out every time the car has an issue..

S-

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did some work on the Beetle today, made sure all vacumn hoses were connected, cleaned the MAF, I have some videos (on youtube) of how it is running and I am hoping you could give me some direction to go next:

Just started up / cold
Jan 15, 2014 - YouTube

Running for about 10 minutes

Jan 15, 2014 - YouTube

After cleaning MAF, checking vac lines and letting it run for about 30 minutes
Jan 15, 2014 - YouTube

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah she is lit up! I ordered a fuel pump, gonna replace it, symptoms seem to suggest it may be having problems

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Does it still have the original catalytic converter? You could have a plugged cat. I've seen other suggest diagnosing the cat by removing the front O2 sensor to see if it will run better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replaced fuel pump / no change / until I get the adaptor to find out what the computer says I am at wits end. I don't know where else to look

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Try taking out the O2 sensor. If the cat is plugged that little opening will be enough to let the exhaust out and the engine will run better.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Nothing worse than throwing a perfectly good parts at a car and nothing changes. A plugged up catalytic converter will throw a multitude of codes including po300 and other misfire codes. The best way to diagnose a problem is to start by checking the codes. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gonna try the cat. It's frustrating waiting for the code reader to get here. Have to resist spending money on stuff till I know! Is there anywhere online where there are diagrams for fuel lines, brake lines vacuum lines etc?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Doing research I see a lot of mention about resetting the throttle body as it can make the car run rough. Everyone mentions that they had disconnected the battery, I have been taking it out so that it doesn't get cold in between testing / can this disconnecting of power be causing any issues when I reconnect and start it up?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts