VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver’s side power window not working? On my 1999 Beetle. 2.0 auto.
I have changed the door from the wrecker. The window worked before the door swap. I have kept the original window motor/door control module and all the wiring. The only new parts are the mirror (still works) and the power lock mechanism. (Power lock mech was not working, before door swap) Both window switches are good. The passenger side window works using either switch. The light even changes back and forth for switch to switch when I change the wiring location to the switch.

The door lock switch also doesn’t work, this didn’t work before the door swap.

The window will go up and down when I use the 30 sec left or right, outside the car with the key in the door lock.

I took it into a shop and the computer said it is wiring, switch or control module/power motor. All have been checked or changed to original.
I have changed all the wiring back and forth with the extra set from the wrecker and both sets of wiring do the same thing.

In the testing they found if one of the wires was grounded in the driver’s side door power window switch the doors would lock?…. Strange?

I have tried disconnecting the battery hoping for a computer rest and checked all the fuses in the side door panel flap. Are there any other places with a power window fuse?
I also connected the positive and negative battery cables with the battery disconnected hoping for a reset.

What should I do to fix this?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
A common problem; is wiring harness damage, the one that goes from the body, to the door (it is encased in a rubber ribbed sheath). These wires flex; every time you open the door and they break over time. Many members here; have found broken wiring in this area and this causes all kinds of odd problems and electrical accessories will not always work. What were the trouble codes; that you got with the scan you did? Please post them up and that might give you more info and help you troubleshoot the problem. Look up trouble codes; on the ross tech wiki: Ross-Tech Wiki

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I will check for cracked wires.

I didn’t get the codes from the shop.
I’ll have to go back I guess…$$… It is funny that window worked with the original door wires and not with the wires from the wrecker. And once I changed the wires back to the original wires, the same non working window was the problem…?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, with used parts; they could have been damaged too and have the same problems? You might consider; getting a cheap vw compatible code reader, most of the time, electrical problems will throw a vw specific code. These codes; can help you get some ideas as to what might be causing the problem. To read comfort control system modules and trouble codes, you need a vw specific scan tool. Check Amazon for a "vag scanner"; for less, than $50, it will read and clear codes, there are some in the sub $100 range that can read live data and claim to do some coding. The Ross Tech VCDS can do pretty much everything the VW dealer can do but it is in the $250-$350 range.

Otherwise, getting the correct wiring diagram and start testing the wiring, is probably what you have to do. You can move parts like switches to the passenger side and confirm they are working correctly. You can look up wiring diagrams and service manuals here:
http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
billy
thanks. I have switched the switches and still the same issue. I looked for cracked wires and couldn’t see anything. Going to look into the codes readers thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am working through the same issue on my 2000 newbeetle tdi. Looking forward to the solution from the OP.

BTW, my window got stuck down. And I thought omg, now I cant use the car. I read about the "comfort lock feature" and it saved my bacon. 30 sec in the lock position and the ccc module lifted the drivers window for me. My car is driveable again, but no drive through for me! lol. This quick test does prove my ccc and drivers door module does work well and are not broken. I'll have to electrically test the window switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yah the only way to open the drivers door now is with the 30sec key turn on the outside…
Havn’t invested in the code reader yet…
Let me know if you find the answer.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts