NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read around and seen many people having issues with the pull tab coming undone on their hood latches and I had this too. I got my hood open when it initially broke by using a long screwdriver to push the latch off the hood loop... THEN; closed my hood and something over centered (I think).

Now the hood w/not close all the way and remains hooked on the emergency latch (that you normally pull the tab to release).

I reached under the lip of the hood and tried to use my finger to flip the latch, a screw driver and even a coat hangar to pull the latch off the loop.

It will move about 1/4 inch then stop dead firm. It leaves about a 1/4 inch to go before I could open the hood.

I'm at a total loss and do not want to run it down to the dealership since they tend to charge agressivly.

Is there a way to get to the latch another way? I see on Jettas and Passats the grill pops off and you can access all kinds of things; but our little Beetles are pretty sealed up.

Help?

·
Registered
950 Posts
It sounds like you closed the hood while the main latch was already in the locked position. Which means your main hood latch has been pushed down beyond it's normal position and will never open. It cannot go up because the emergency latch cannot turn, the emergency latch cannot turn because the main latch cannot open.

The only way to get it open now is to take a hack saw and chop through the emergency latch (not the loop on the hood). And then buy a new latch.

p.s. The new latch comes in a locked state, if you make the mistake of closing the lid on it without releasing it first, then you'll be right back where you started.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solved

Turns out the previous owners had bent a lot of the sheet metal that the latch is made of. No matter how much I re-alighned and reset the latch, it wouldn't re-open.

So we purchased a new latch from the dealership, and it's all grand now. Only took a few minutes to swap the latch (I didn't have the right start socket so I used an allen wrench that worked well enough not to strip it out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is a very old thread but I have the same issue but with a flashlight I can see the main latch is in the open position it is my daughters 99 beetle. I would start cutting but could not even get a blade in a position to do it. Any thoughts? we used to open with screw driver easily but some thing changed The car started overheating randomly and I have to get in. it popped but the safety will not unlatch and I can not get it to relatch

·
Registered
2 Posts
All worked out I guess

No response so went to try and cut the stupid thing started by using a long drill bit by the time I drilled through it at the top drivers side it popped open. As for the over heating ran for half hour in drive no fan came on, searched here, found that the first 30A fuse was pretty melted had to pry fuse out and when changed fan is cycling on and off, new latch and fuse box on the way.:cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you got it open; I finally broke down and installed a new latch (they aren't cheap; but it didn't make me miss a meal either) .. it works like a champ now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts