NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
My 1999 Beetle overheated about 2 months ago. I took it to the dealership and they said it needed a new fan control module as well as new fans. I have since replaced both of those but the fans are still not coming on. The car doesn't even really "overheat", the blue temperature light is still on sometimes but white smoke just comes pouring out of the hood. I am completely lost as to what this could be. Any reasons my fans might not be working?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,007 Posts
Do they come on if you turn on the AC?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, they don't. I can't even let the car run for long enough to see if they come on eventually, because the white smoke gets too bad. I think the coolant is leaking somewhere.
Also, I'm not even sure if the A/C works to begin with. I've only owned the car for a few months.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,007 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car has almost 400 000km on it, so about half as many miles I guess. The coolant does drip somewhere, especially once the white smoke starts coming out (which I'm assuming is from the coolant burning somewhere). Once it starts smoking there is a very heavy drip under the car. However on a normal day if the car is just parked it only drips a tiny bit. The coolant level is currently topped up.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,007 Posts
Which side of the car is the drip? If you have a drip, there is a leak that needs to be addressed ASAP. I hope you aren't driving the car like this...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't been driving the car. Since Volkswagen told me the problem was my fans and control module I figured the leak must be minor (I wasn't even sure if it was coolant). But clearly there are more issues than they diagnosed. And the drips is on the right side, just behind the engine. At least that's where it comes from when it gets too hot.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
I haven't been driving the car. Since Volkswagen told me the problem was my fans and control module I figured the leak must be minor (I wasn't even sure if it was coolant). But clearly there are more issues than they diagnosed. And the drips is on the right side, just behind the engine. At least that's where it comes from when it gets too hot.
I believe what Smileybug is asking, is it the Drivers or Passenger side? Just noting right or left can be confusing.

If coolant is burning off and the smoke is that bad; off the top of my head, your choices are, Water Pump, Thermostat, Coolant Flange and/or any hose connected to those parts.

Regarding the fans; try changing the Radiator Fan Sensor/Switch. It is located drivers side bottom of Radiator, just left of the Fan Control Module.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The leak where the smoke comes from is on the driver's side. When I originally took it to VW and described the symptoms they said it was most likely the water pump, but then afterwards concluded it was the fans.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,007 Posts
The drivers side points to coolant flange most likely. But also check and make sure no hoses are leaking.

Do you know when the timing belt/water pump was last changed?

I'd also try to find a local VW shop rather than the dealer. Doesn't seem like the dealer is really fixing things as they should if they couldn't even figure out a leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts