NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello did the search on this one and didn't find a video. On youtube I am finding all kinds of Jetta TDi video's but after starting this one there are several differances.

The injector pump pully is different on mine (1999 TDi Beetle), there are a lot more things in the way, and the valve cover is a Beeeotch to get off (Who puts alan bolts where they can fill with gunk anyhow?).

I'm mechanicaly enabled but normaly deal with classic Ford muscle and newer vehicle maintenance when I find out they want too much money to do what I can if I take the time (This timing belt for instance).

Secondly; the car lot that sold us the Beetle said the belt was changed 10K before we purchased it. We also took it to some VW mechanics in Oregon before driging it home and they all said the Timing Belt looked great but our radiator supports were cracked on the bottom (I fixed that after it got home). Then shortly after getting it home (Purchased in Oregon, we live in Utah) took it to the Dealership for an oil change and look over and the dealership said the belt was coming apart and it needed changed ASAP. So we drove with clinched teeth for a month and now I've got the time to tear it down and replace it.

I pulled off the timing belt cover and the belt is imaculate (minus black dust inside the cover). Looked for any signs of wear and there is none (it's not as pretty as the new belt; but it looks great - I know you can't tell when they are bad normally but very little if any signs of wear).

So I'm looking for a decent video to see how they get to some of the difficulties I'm running into (cover allen bolts aren't going well; think they've got a plethora of lock tight on them). Sone online info has the headlight being pulled, fuel lines etc. I'm okay with some contortion work to avoid draining the fuel system and pulling the headlight bucket, fuel lines and several canisters? Really?

Thank you for any advise.

·
Registered
13,719 Posts
Have you bought a timing belt kit yet? If you get one from blauparts.com; they come with instructions and they will loan you a timing belt tool kit, that will lock everything in place and eliminate any possibility of getting the pulleys/gears out of time/alignment. In each one of their kits; they also include a "manual" that they have created; so, that is beneficial as well. Their kits are excellent quality and price; they include the waterpump, stretch bolts, coolant flanges, thermostat, stretch bolts etc.; everything you need to do the whole job correctly and save you money in the process.

Otherwise, check out this factory service manual; the timing belt procedures here (manual is listed as 1998 TDI ALH engine code) keep advancing the pages and look on the left hand column, to get to the step by step procedures for the timing belt replacement)

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Beetle L4-1.9L DSL Turbo (ALH) (1998) > Engine, Cooling and Exhaust > Engine > Timing Components > Timing Belt > Component Information > Specifications

Blauparts:

timing belt kits; the enhanced plus kits, come with the addition of the special vw spec coolant:

the included instructions: "Blauparts Detailed Step-by-Step Vw Beetle Timing Belt Instructions
Numerous pages and over 30 images of detailed step-by-step guidelines."

https://www.blauparts.com/products.asp?cat=2303

diesel timing belt toolkit rental: (get the tool kit; do it right and don't screw up your TDI)

https://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=N1A1019-A

https://www.blauparts.com/vw/vw_timing_belt_tools/vw_timing_belt_tool_kits.shtml

Now that you have a TDI; get to know, TDICLUB.com it is THE deinitive site, for VW TDI owners. Here is a DIY; for the timing belt:

http://www.tdiclub.com/articles/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

Here is a video; I found on youtube, there are probably more on there as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE9jnA-7nNM

·
Registered
13 Posts
First off, no, unless it is obviously destroyed you can't tell a 10k belt from a 50k belt.

The gas Beetles are a little different from the gas Jettas too and you could be looking at a Pumpe Duce or common rail if it looks drastically different.

It is not that bad of a job to do a T-belt on one of these cars.

I don't recall pulling the headlight to get to the fuel filter, but it's been a while since I have done a Beetle. However, yes, that is normal procedure to pull the fuel filter and canister out when you do a T-belt on a Jetta as well.

I don't know I think that it is an easy sell for a dealer or any repair shop to suggest a T-belt on any car that is unknown, and scare the customer into buying it.

Unfortunately, sometimes you just don't know when it was done, or if the belt is ok or not. Sometimes just no way of telling for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just did a timing belt in the garage last weekend, tdi. Took some time, but overall not that bad of a job. Previously has used an independent shop to change the belt, but this time watched the videos, purchased the tools and did it myself. Came out cheaper to buy the tools and the timing belt kit, and I now know what this job takes.

As for the bolts on the valve cover, purchase a swivel joint

1 - 6 of 6 Posts