NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks I used my Fluke meter to check the sensors I could. It tries to start, but won't stay running. On pins 2 and 8 of the Throttle Control Module I get 0.3 ohms. The Haynes manual states it should be 3 thru 200 ohms. Is it in need of replacement or are there any fixes.

I saw this VAG COM on eBay, will it help? Thanks :cool:

USB OBD II 2 KKL 409 1 OBD2 Cable VAG com for VW Audi | eBay

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I wouldn't replace anything until a better job of diagnosis can be done. It looks like you are on the right track with the VAG-COM package. It is needed to get to all the functions that are available through the data link connector. However, if you have a standard OBDII scan tool available you can read the generic OBD codes and that would be a start.

You don't mention the history of the car. Did this happen out of the blue, or has other work been done on the car? If the battery was disconnected for a length of time then the throttle control module needs to be "aligned," as VW calls it. This process causes the module to relearn its basic settings needed to make the engine idle properly. You can do this without a scan tool by switching the key to "run" without starting the engine and leaving it there for 30 seconds before switching off. During the 30 seconds you should hear the faint sound of the motor in the throttle control module running.

For the scan tool, here is what I think the people on Ebay are trying to sell you:

Ross-Tech: VCDS: Product Information

Maybe someone else here on the forum has experience with vag-com purchased off ebay. I'd be very wary that you won't get something that works properly or is supported by Ross-Tech. Personally, I have the registered version of VCDS-Lite:

Ross-Tech: VCDS: Function Table

The software costs $99 and you can buy a generic OBDII-USB cable on ebay:

USB to OBDII KKL 409 1 OBD2 VAG com Car Scan Cable Tool Auto Scanner Vehicle OBD | eBay

It comes with the shareware version of the software which you can then register to get to the enhanced features. Be aware that one of the limitations of VCDS-Lite is that you can only ever install it on one PC, although Ross-Tech will give you a one-time only chance to move it to a different PC. With the full VCDS software and enhanced cable, the software security is built into the cable, so you can use it on whatever PC you want. The software will only run if the cable is attached.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
Get the real deal from Ross-Tech. That cable on eBay is not a Ross-Tech VAG-COM cable. Support the good guys at Ross-Tech so they can keep up this awesome product. They are working on a mobile version too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts