NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings VW Gods
I have the above stated car I keep throwing codes and Im perplexed at where to go to next.... so here it goes.
I am getting codes P0172 and P0422.
system too rich and main catalyst below threshold both on bank 1

Praying to you.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wanted to add that I put a new exhaust flange and USED catalyst from another AEG(220k)within the past 3 months.
Replaced the front and rear O2 sensors.
Found 2 vacuum leaks and repaired.

How can I tell if this is the original engine for this car? I got it at 145K. Likes to overheat too.. not often ....

The Donor AEG Catalyst is from a 00 gl golf. I owned it is whole life and it was tough on front O2 sensors.

The front O2 sensor that was changed out was sooty. The new one is a Bosch.

I do have a WIFI OBD2 reader and my IPOD. It will reset the check engine light, show fuel trims etc. still configuring that thing.... but it is helpful in the was i know how to use it.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
You would be incorrect. There are 2.0 GTIs. 1999 only for the mk4 cars. I believe they had the in the mk3 though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea ... Its nice to have all the options and the small motor... its a REAL sleeper....But it sucks when the Damn thing runs wrong ... So I am again going on bended knee to help me.....
I'm going outside in the -8 degree to get the O2 sensor graphs.... I hope i don't freeze...
BTW the starter seems weak... battery checks out and it really doesn't want to start on -16 to -25 degrees.

Again Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It runs OK. Mileage is suffering. I'm getting 23 city as a pizza delivery driver. Idle is at 820. Temp goes to 195-205 while driving on the OBD2 reader.
Tomorrow, I'm going to give the MAF sensor a good cleaning with the can o cleaner, but that is a shot in the dark.
It warmed up today and i cleared the codes without doing the MAF sensor.... so far so good.....
Thanks red99

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
23 city sounds right. That's what I got with my Beetle 2.0. I was getting closer to 22 around town really.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cleared codes and drive for a few hours at pizza work. Very moist night and freezing rain. At idle I came back to the light on and 2 new codes p0132 and p1128. Arrrrg I'm gonna clean the MAF in the morning.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back again ..... this time is
p0422 as a stored code.
these are in order of apperance
p1225 p1226 p1227 p1228 and p1472
Im going to look them up and Ill let ya guess.....

Well it was a wet day when they showed up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts