NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pet peeve: I own a 1999 TDI New Beetle -

The issue: Interior lights don't have a common switch. I find that I want to be able to turn ALL the interior lights on at once. I realize they all turn on when the key is turned off, but then they go out relatively quickly, like 30 seconds or something. what am I missing? I hate having to fumble with both side lights, mirror lights, etc. AND to top it off, the trunk light doesn't seem to have a switch either. I'd like to be able to turn all interior lights on at one time and leave them on as long as I want, just like the good 'ol American Cars 'mostly' do. (Germans- Ju Don't kneed das Iterior vlights! Ve Vill Tell Ju when Ju need Zem! (or good cup holders, LOL))

Wondered if either there is a clever workaround, or I'm being ignorant, or what else can be done.

Anyone? thanks!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
You might be able to splice a switch into the door wiring to make the computer think the door is open when the switch is flipped. That should make all the normal interior lights come on even when the door is closed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might be able to splice a switch into the door wiring to make the computer think the door is open when the switch is flipped. That should make all the normal interior lights come on even when the door is closed.
I was actually thinking about something like that. I am pretty sure i have the dreaded bad microswitch in my drivers door, and its causing the lights to go off soon after the key is removed. Sure would be nice to flip a switch and have them all come on at any time tho.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts