NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Issues with Wife’s 1999 GLS Beetle Automatic Transmission,
Time for semi annual Smog check (calif car) there were several codes that mechanic were able to repair and clear, The recent trouble begin about a month ago when car begin to delay in shifting, and then other times it would shift very smooth thru all gears at the correct range. Fluid and filter,Gasket replaced.
But now the shifting has gotten really bad it shifts very hard at +/- 40 mph and the RPM's are very high. After researching this and other forums things point to possible transmission speed sensor need replacing.

1. Is there a test of speed sensor once removed from car?
I will attempt to remove sensor myself and replace.

I have feed the VW Gods to the tune of $3,268.00 over the last 14 months for a host of issues with car.

These are fault codes that recently got
00281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68)
03-00 No Signal

00652 - Gear Monitoring
27-10 Implausible Signal - Intermittent

16795 - Secondary Air Injection System - Incorrect Flow Detected
P0411 - 35-00

Mechanic did some repairs and cleared check engine light Just the ABS & Blue coolant light remains,

Thanks Frustrated

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts

You'll have to remove the mount bracket to access the sensor to change it. Place a jack under the metal skidplate for the transmission to support it...there should be no weight on the mounts as you are removing or replacing the bolts. Remove the mount to body bolts first, make sure transmission is fully supported, then remove the two mount to bracket bolts. Then remove the bracket from the transmission to replace the sensor.

The two mount to bracket bolts and the two mount to body bolts are one-time use stretch bolts and they must be replaced. Order them from the dealer.

Torque specs (again, with weight supported...particularly with the mount to bracket bolts):
Mount to body bolt: 40 Nm (30ft-lb) plus 90 degrees (1/4 turn)
Mout to bracket bolt: 100 Nm (74 ft-lb)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wonder how I missed this thread.
Place a jack under the metal skidplate for the transmission to support it...there should be no weight on the mounts as you are removing or replacing the bolts.
Is it safe to put the weight on a skidplate? It doesn't cover entire ATF pan and IIRC some reported separation of the pan.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you for this post and the picture. It cleared things up for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts