VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am a new member to this forum as well as a new volkswagen owner :D. I just purchased a 1999 VW new beetle 2.0L in March. The car already has 158K miles so I replaced the timing belt and water pump. The car runs fine but I am having trouble with the fans turning on and I am scared it will overheat. The fans will only come on while the A/C is running. I replaced the temperature sensor and fan switch to see if that would help but it did not. I'm not sure if the problem is the fan control module or fan relay. I was going to take it to the dealership but my uncle told me that it will cost a pretty penny so he is trying to help me. Has anyone else had this problem or knows what it could be?...Any ideas or suggestions?...Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If the problems started after the timing belt work, make sure that the air purged from the cooling system when it was refilled. The small line going from the cylinder head, through the throttle body and on to the coolant reservoir needs to be clear to allow the air to purge. The problem is often at the fitting on the cylinder head. If the air doesn't purge the coolant won't flow into the radiator and the fans won't turn on. See this thread and the links:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/61058-overheating.html

The proper coolant filling technique is there also. If you fill the system too quickly or overfill it you can trap air as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts