NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. ive have my 2.0 2001 beetle for just 2 weeks now, drive it to work today and all seemed fine... when i got in the car to come home i couldnt get 1st or 3rd gear so had to use 2nd and 4th :(

not had any weird noises ect.

anyone any ideas?

many thanks

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Guessing its a 5spd manual.
The linkage from the shifter to the trans need to be checked.
Sometimes you can adjust them, and other times you may need to buy some parts. I would check the linkage at the trans first. Its located under the airbox, once removed, the top of the transmission is right there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks. going to see how it is in the morning. hoping its dry this week ill try get air box out and have a peek under it. just trying to source a pic so i know what im looking for.

thanks again:banana:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Thats where it gets sketchy. On my 03, that video is the one I used. If I am not mistaken 98 thru 2000 may have a slightly different set-up. But that video about sums it up.
What you need to check is were the linkage attaches to the shifter in the car and also where it attaches at the trans.
Make sure to lock the shifter inside the car, like they show you in the video.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers. Just at work now. It was still the same this morning. But when I got to work I tried to go in first and it still wouldnt. Then tried again and seemed to have all gears grrrr lol. I've left it in first gear for now. Gonna try look after work as we have an underground lit car park so ill be out of bad weather. I did find out last night that the first nobs had a plastic linkage think thay was up to 2000.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well well well.....................

well, i finished work and went out to car. lifted bonnet and saw that my breather pipe wasnt there.............!!!!!!

it had fell and was resting on the gear linkage thingy grrrrr. i must not have fitted it back on right when i changed coolant sensor on the weekend.

so i fitted it back on got and car and went through alllll the gears!!!!!, drove home in heavy traffic usually allllllllllll the gearsss!!!!!!!!!!

seems like it was the breather pipe causing it, well im hoping so anyway lol.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
That should take care of that. Glad you got it sorted out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts