NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Punky Brusier
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just bought my first car and I cant believe its a new beetle! I have always loved beetles ever since I was little and have wanted to get a Volkswagen since I can remember. So a couple weeks ago I got lucky. I wasn't even looking for a car, but I saw her by chance on the internet. On a whim I decided to put in an application for a loan. (only needed $1500 loaned) lol. and to my surprise it got accepted. Im going to pick her up tomorrow hopefully! She is a little rough looking physically. She has hard water spots and scratches and needs a lot of help interior wise. Luckily she drove pretty solid and I got a deal as the dealership fixed the broken mirror controls, broken dipstick, and problems with the airbag light for free. I have a lot of plans for her and can't wait to give her a bath and start fixing her up! Will post pictures tomorrow when I get her. She is a black 1999 GLS 2.0
Sorry this post is so long! I'm just super excited :p

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Welcome to the org!
New Beetle is very good and cool first car indeed :)
Congratulations :thup:

Greetings from Finland.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Oh, how wonderful! I just know you will take good care of your new-to-you New Beetle. Thank you and Congratulations! We can't wait for pics of your smiling face with your 1st car! :party:

·
Punky Brusier
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I keep seeing beetles everywhere and It makes me sad I don't have mine just yet.

ARGHHHHH

·
JYD, Peppy Pepper, Rico,
596 Posts
New Member Welcome

New Member Welcome

Hello,

Welcome to your new home. If you can’t find the answers here then you just ask someone. If you can’t make friends then just go to an event with the wonderful people here. Do you need parts or advice on aftermarket items? Just search the threads. This site is awesome and I am glad you found it. We all LOVE pictures, so if you do any mods or just want to show off the ride, Post some pictures on your threads. Make an album. Just have fun and remember we the people of the newbeetle.org are here to help you. Peace

Hint: If you have not done your timing belt, please search the threads on this topic as it is a beetle specific issue. Beetles need attention to Timing Belts, water pumps, and window regulators. These are common problems with the new beetles.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hello! I just bought my first car and I cant believe its a new beetle! I have always loved beetles ever since I was little and have wanted to get a Volkswagen since I can remember. So a couple weeks ago I got lucky. I wasn't even looking for a car, but I saw her by chance on the internet. On a whim I decided to put in an application for a loan. (only needed $1500 loaned) lol. and to my surprise it got accepted. Im going to pick her up tomorrow hopefully! She is a little rough looking physically. She has hard water spots and scratches and needs a lot of help interior wise. Luckily she drove pretty solid and I got a deal as the dealership fixed the broken mirror controls, broken dipstick, and problems with the airbag light for free. I have a lot of plans for her and can't wait to give her a bath and start fixing her up! Will post pictures tomorrow when I get her. She is a black 1999 GLS 2.0
Sorry this post is so long! I'm just super excited :p
Congrats on your new Bug and

Welcome to the Org!

A free fix for an airbag light would be suspect. Nothing about airbag servicing cheap, and safety is involved is something has been deleted or modified. And clearing the code to turn off the light is temporary if that's what was done.

As a Newbie, both here and to the Org, this is for you -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html
A lot of links to a lot of GOOD reads, that warrant you setting aside a little time to read them through.

If you need an Owner's Manual (somehow they always seem to get separated from the vehicle) I have them FS -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/53283-all-owners-manuals-30-shipped.html

Again, Wecome" and Enjoy!

·
I love my Butterkup baby!
489 Posts
Congrats!! I know how excited you must be, my beetle is my first car too.. and over 2 years later i'm still JUST as excited to drive her as my first day!! :D:D:D

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Welcome!
So glad to have you join our happy little family.
I second the motion said by Marc. Make sure your timing belt/water pump/ tensioner/roller have been replaced.... make this priority #1! The year of your beetle and subsequent miles scream "Check the timing belt". If the aforementioned haven't been done, get them done yesterday. A broken timing belt will result in you more than likely spending more than you've invested in buying your beetle, because of valve/head repair.

We also have a mack-daddy get together (GTG) in your area in May 2012- the Tail of the Dragon cruise. It would be awesome to have you join us.

Don't be a stranger- post often:)

·
Punky Brusier
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
How would I go about finding out if my beetle has had its timing belt and water pump already done? Just call around some VW dealerships and ask?

The get together sounds awesome! I know my husband would love to go too! I looked up some pictures and I cant believe I have never heard of The Tail Of The Dragon! Me living so close and all. :p

I picked up my baby last night so I wasn't able to get any pictures of her :( but i am planning on taking some once it stops raining.

Thanks for being so helpful and welcoming everyone!! :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
How would I go about finding out if my beetle has had its timing belt and water pump already done?
Having no assurance that it was done at a Dealership, if it was done, that could be a daunting proposition. Surely wouldn't hurt to call around, but I would suggest, you first attempt to find out the original delivery Dealership. Manyh times that is the Dealership that has serviced the vehicle throughout it's life. That information should be readily available, along with any Dealerships who performed any recall work associated with your Bug. A visit to your local Dealership will probably garner more information than a phone call, not as easy for them to simply blow you off.

It's my understanding the impellars for the water pump can be viewed through the thermostat opening. This way you can at least determine if they are plastic or steel. The original would be plastic, a replacement may or may not be, but if steel you are assured that has been done, and if so, more than likely the timing belt also. The timing belt width can be measured to determine it's condition related to miles, a visual inspection can help in determining it's condition related to age. If in doubt on either, best to be safe, the sorry part will be terribly expensive.

MORAV

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Greetings!!!
I would take a close look at maintenance (timing belt and water pump) Also, battery! There are alot of sites on the net that you can buy exterior and interior upgrades. I wouldn't worry about that. I would start with mechanics, and make sure you have someone that is familiar with Beetles. There are a lot of forums here that will help you learn to troubleshoot. I would make sure you take time to read them. It could save you thousands of dollars for costly uneeded repairs. The people in NBOrg are very generous with their knowledge and don't be afraid to ask any questions.

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
MyotherridesaVette has helped me in many occassions. I would use him for a guide. I've slowly been learning this car (in and out) and you could also come to me with questions.

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
MORAV is right about checking the WP. You can also check the TB. Most are checked around 40,000, 60,000 and 80,000 in which between 80,000 and 100,000 are replaced. Then checked every 15,000 to 20,000 miles. If you question it, and there are no records of it being changed. Don't take a chance and get it replaced! It's a self-reliance thing. You can read forums and give you an idea about your engine size and the TB issues. Reading this will help you understand the importance of it.

·
Punky Brusier
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Moncier and MORAV.

Putting in the water pump and TB is the first thing I plan on doing to this car. I agree that this is more important than doing any panting or mods and such. I looked on some older threads and was able to find a link for Metalman Parts and ESC Tuning, so I will most likely get it through one of those. Any reviews on which one is better? My husband is a car technician at Subaru and has worked on a few Volkswagens so he thinks he will be able to put it in :D

and without any further ado, here is my baby.

I cant believe I didn't notice the car is missing 3 center caps when I bought it LOL. I took one it had off since it looked a little wird with just one. It was about to fall off anyways. all the glue on there was dry. Anyone know where I can buy some center caps? I found some, but thy were either decals or made from resin.

·
Punky Brusier
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are a few more pictures I took. Im so happy with her! She has a few imperfections, but I can't wait to fix those. After she gets her WP & TB changed I plan on taking her up to the hubbies job since he can get a deal with the detailing guys at the dealership. That way they can buff out those water spots and oxidation she has.

Took her for a little drive last night and she's so fun to drive. The only car I have driven where Im comfy since I'm so short :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Looks like your starting with a good basic specimen, and yep, your showing us the wear issues so typical with many of the cheaply made parts on the NB. Lots of threads that can direct you to affordable replacement parts, both new and used. Thread search the part your wanting to replace specifically. If you can't find the information your looking for, put up a thread, that's what they are for.

The TB/WP, however, need to be the very first thing you address. You're hubby will know exactly the potential cost involved if either fails. And it's measured in thousands, not hundreds, even for the DIYer.

Keep us up to date as your Bug evolves into a beauty.

M.

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Also, since your husband is familiar with import cars. The oil in volkswagon is specific, there are a lot of debates on this. But, VW NB's (especially turbo's) have specific oil requirements for maximum effeciency. Another thing, spark plugs! I would also consider that replacement. It's actually easy to do and will help with MPG. The car itself has little things that are easy to replace. And if you have a creative brain, such things as the interior door panel can be taken off, use a fine grit sand paper...lightely water sand the panel where it's wore. Then have it reshot and actually clear it. This will make the panel look great, it's not expensive to do and last so much longer! Other things can be done as well, they have plastic paints at your local dealership, that if you do the right mock up on your interior pieces, will make it look brand new! The center caps, it was put on with a weak apoxy. Your best best is to go with something a little stronger and heat resistant. You can find the decals in many locations on the net including Ebay. If I were you, I would just save up, and buy a set of rims and get rid of the hubcaps all together. (Just sayn)

1 - 20 of 196 Posts