VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience with difficulty shifting into 1st gear with your Turbo S ? My issue is intermittent and I really can't place my finger on when and why.
All other shifting is fine and seems only to effect 1st gear occasionally.
If you have a link to help/article would be appreciated.

Thank you all.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,737 Posts
You could try to do a shift linkage adjustment. Also might need a fluid change.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Going to get all the bushings, I adjusted linkage on my Turbo S. Seems better but haven't taken for drive. Bushing on shifter gone.. disintegrated. There was actually a large amount of play in linkage.
I only had to remove airbox to get this done.
Thank you all for help.
👍
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Hood Rim

White Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Auto part Gas

White Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Auto part

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I case anyone with the Turbo S needs to do this adjustment this button needed to be pushed in to lock linkage in service mode.
It's different then the 5 speeds which has a L shaped locker.
To take out of service mode just press down on arm and at same time pull black button out.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
I had this problem, the stick would go down but not pop back up (stuck); the shaft bushing that is part of the stick was worn. Replacement was a fix; aside from a full rebuild.

As to your shifting issues: since, some of the bushings are totally gone, the extra play will make adjustment hard, hit-miss or almost impossible to do. The play in all the bushings; makes shifting correctly, accurately, almost impossible. Rebuilding the whole shifting system; is the way, to get back to the original shifting quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
Good work, when my bushings, parts were worn; i had to play around with the adjustments until i found the best adjustment for the gears to shift but once i rebuilt the shifter, the adjustment was a snap, much easier to do. All new bushings, needed replacement parts; after adjustment, makes a night and day difference! In my case, the shifter was so worn out, (which happens slowly over time); i had forgotten, how well the trans can, should shift!

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
In addition to the D/Geek kit; a Sigma 6 shifter or cable end bushings, to replace the worn out rubber inserts, helps remove slop, play in the shifter as well. They are made in billet aluminum or Delrin.

DG Sigma 6 shifter:

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
Well, that is the base bushing kit and then, there are others as well, plus parts VW still sells also. As i noted before, while DG sells many bushings; i found i needed other parts too, like the shifter stick and ball bushing, the “shimming” technique didn’t adequately, address the wear in those two parts (in my experience).

Here are all the bushings using their “filter”; that comes up for the new beetle (look for standard transmission applications).

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
The adjustable cable ends on top of the transmission; are another rubber bushing that wears out and causes more play.

Various companies make solid replacements; if you upgraded to a Sigma 6 Short shifter, these would be upgraded as well.

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
We discuss rebuilding things in depth in this discussion, i would review it and it should answer many questions.

Many things are gone over in the DG rebuild videos; which are on the DG site for each kit or bushing, shifter upgrade, etc, they sell.

I found the videos helpful and then, when i had the shifter apart, other parts were worn, needed replaced. Having things apart, helped and everything made more sense. Don’t over complicate things or psyche yourself out; you can do it, its more time consuming, then hard.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is there anyway to tell if after doing linkage adjustment if all is ok with gear selector? Meaning after I did adjustment rowing through the gears felt fine it was only after putting everything back together and taking it out for a drive did I discover no 5th or 6th gear ?
Anyway to tell before reinstalling everything ?
Would save me a big headache and time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts