NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my daughter Amber just had to have a new bug ...

So she saved up her money, and we found a "really neat" 1999 Yellow 2.0 Beetle - Yeaaa !!!

The bug was purchased and driven 50 miles or so but then sat for about 6 weeks. When she got her insurance and tags the car would start but then immediately shut off - the dealer says its the Immobilizer but they do not manufacture them any more and they are not available elsewhere ... soooo

I am curious to see anyone can give me any information on maybe completely bypassing the immobilizer system or disabling the alarm system - the drive train is fine just the Alarm system is #$%#$%$#%&% :mad:

Any links or info would be great !!!

TIA
Bill G.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
The immobilizer issues are common with the New Beetle; these threads might be helpful:

immobilizer problem

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/61381-immobilizer-problem.html

Stalling After Start Up

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/61375-stalling-after-start-up.html

The most common problem; is the wiring to the "reader coil" is damaged and has intermittent connectivity problems; sometimes, the reader coil is bad or the immobilizer that resides in the speedo cluster is faulty. Every part of the immobilizer system; has to work together for it to work correctly. This system is made up of: the key fobs with internal immobilizer chip, the reader coil that reads the rfid chip in the key fob, and the immobilizer that reside in the speedo cluster and the ecm that runs the whole car.

To begin with; on a very basic level, I would get the car scanned and see what trouble codes come up; some of the codes can be very specific and tell you what in the immobilizer system has failed. This isn't always the case but it is a good foundation from which to start from. The dealer; is giving you incorrect information, the system can be repaired and parts are available to do so; frankly, I do not understand why that are not taking steps to repair the problem, unless you decided to not go ahead with the repair process.

There are companies; that offer speedo cluster repair; so, if the immobilizer/speedo cluster is faulty, it is possible they could be repaired or just replaced by buying a used one or a new one from your local Volkswagen dealership.

Here is a good page; that breaks the immobilizer system down for you:

VW immobilizer technical information and problem troubleshooting

disable immobilizer solutions:

There are a number of companies; that will modify your ecm to eliminate the immobilizer in the software that runs the car. The other option; are Chinese knock off plug in immobilizer delete tools; that offer the ability to turn off the immobilizer through the software in the ecm, by just plugging in the tool and it does it automatically.

I have not tried; either solution but I am in the process of repairing and fixing my immobilizer problem. I am going to start with replacing the wiring to the reader coil plug; if that doesn't work, the reader coil/key tumbler and if that doesn't work, then the immobilzer/speedo cluster itself.

Vag Immo Bypass Device,EDC15,EDC16,ME7
This is the chinese made plug in tool that defeats the immobilizer in the ecm; there are a number of different models out there, I have no experience with any of them. It is tempting to try this type of solution.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vol...izer+bypass+tool&sa=X&spell=1&ved=0CCsQvwUoAA

Immobilizer bypass through ecm software modification:

It seems a number of companies; that offer this software delete modification, Revo, APR and others offer this option on their respective websites.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vol...&psj=1&q=volkswagen+immobilizer+defeat+coding

I am of the approach; I want to finally fix this problem and have the immobilizer/security system feature intact as the factory intended. I appreciate, you desire to eliminate the immobilizer and thus just not have to worry about fixing the problem; I like to fix thing and I am going to!

I hope the above info; helps you in your search for a solution, to your immobilzer problem.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
If its a '99, it doesn't have an immobilizer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Have you tried scanning it for codes. If you can afford it get a vag com but on a budget I suggest the max scan vag 405. It will cost you about 50 bucks on amazon or less. It has saved me money already rather than going to the dealer. Even if you don't have a cel there can be some codes in the computer, and if the car wasn't driven far the previous owner might not have been honest and just reset the light by pulling the battery cables.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Just wondering...did you have a VW mechanic look it over before you bought it? Sounds like the dealer doesn't have a clue. Good luck with it. The Beetle is a great car when it's behaving!:D

Here's a list of trusted TDI mechanics by state, call and ask, most will also work on gas engines

Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State - TDIClub Forums

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land (looks like some of them have made some suggestions here already). If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Also try unplugging your maf sensor off the intake and see if it at least starts, it will run like crap but hopefully run. Have you actually taken it to the dealer or just spoke to the dealer. If you haven't you really need to have it scanned. You may also have a bad crank position sensor. Mine was bad and gave no code and prevented starting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replys

Originally I started at the fuse panel and everything looked good - I resorted to taking it to the dealer because the symptoms indicated a problem with the Immo. So I ended up taking it to the not so local (45 miles away) VW dealer - I towed it into them and 4 hours later I towed it back out ... :confused:

They are the ones that told me the Immo was unresponsive and that I need to replace it - but they do not have it and can not get it any longer. They said if I can find a cluster with the exact same part number (1c0919951c) that I can bring it back to them and they will TRY to reprogram it ... no guarantees. :(

So I am going to bypass the Immo.

The way I look at this now is, If someone wants to steel it - go for it - the car is 14 years old and not a precious commodity :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
Well, one thing that you need to realize; the VW dealer will only usually deal with new replacement parts from their own Volkswagen parts dept; in this case, the part is no longer available. However, that is NOT to say; that your speedo cluster cannot be replaced with a GOOD USED part or that your original cluster could be repaired! A good used part; would have to be recoded to match the car with their factory scan tool BUT if you had your original part repaired, you could just install it back in after repair and not have to have to re coded/matched! I would pursue; getting the speedo cluster repaired or have a company turn it off with the ecm software. The other benefit of having a professional repair the cluster; is that you could confirm, everything works as it should and you would be back on the road, car would be fixed correctly!

There are a number of places that do speedo repair; one guy in particular, was from Germany and he moved to Canada; he worked on assembly lines in the auto industry there and apparently, really knows his stuff! His company is called "pixelfix"; I would contact him, tell him your situation and see what he can do for you!

You can read about one persons experience with him and his review of his search for a reputable vendor to repair his VW Passat speedo cluster; read about it here (click on my link to passatworld).

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...-beetle/61558-speedometer-mileage-issues.html

The other option would be a used part; there are online parts search engines that link to junk yards all over the country, you could probably find the exact same speedo cluster as yours that way but of course you would have to go back to the dealer, or independent VW shop that has the VCDS software to learn or recode the new/used part. I looked on ebay and there were a number of used speedo cluster that has a "similar" part number as yours but without the "c" at the end of the part number. I would make sure; that you get the right part.

Again, I think that repair option; is the way to go, you know the part is the right one (because it came with the car) and if it is repairable, you wouldn't have to recode the repaired original part either.

I would contact the owner at Pixelfix and see what he can do for you (you might ask him about a immobilizer bypass option; personally, I would just get it repaired correctly but certainly, ask him about what options you have); please keep us informed, as your proceed with your repair of your New Beetle.

Contact Us : Welcome to Pixelfix.info, Canada

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
I agree with Smileybug and besides the Immobilizer keeps the engine from starting, not shutting it down after starting; sounds a little bass-ackwards.

If it starts and then shuts down, my first two suspects would be the Crank Sensor and/or the Speed Sensor on the transmission.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Go buy yourself a $3 can of starting fluid. Spray a 2 second burst into the air filer box and try to start the car and see what happens. If the engine runs then dies out, likely you have a fuel related problem? If you can spray the starting fluid just as the engine dies out and keep it running, you have a fuel delivery issue.

What is frustrating is how quickly dealers loose their memory. You are talking about a car that is almost 15 years old, likely the dealer does not have anyone that was out of high school working in the service department at this point. Much less had any early Beetle experience.

I do not know for sure about the Immobilizer for 1999 models, but I do know that there was a big change around that time for the Immobilizer design.

I would assume??? if it is like the later models, if there is an Immobilizer problem, then you would likely have light on the dash board???

I do not know the VW Immobilizer design, but most all Immobilizers I am familiar with will disable the starter and fuel delivery. Most do not allow the engine to start then quit, at least the other Immobilizers I deal with on the BMW's of the same vintage. There always seems there is a lot of misunderstanding on how the systems are designed to work.l

If you do not have a fuel delivery issue, you may have like some have said issues with crank or cam sensors, but I would rule out the easy stuff first.

If you do not have an OBDII scan tool, this may be helpful in figuring out what is going on.

You can read about OBDII tools and software below in my signature or consider this as an option - Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Here is some Immobilizer info that might be useful.

VW immobilizer 3 troubleshooting and general information

VW immobilizer technical information and problem troubleshooting

I did not read this info in full, but sounds like you may not have an Immobilizer issue?? This is somewhat a hard question due to the timing of the Beetle release and the platform the Beetle was on. Seems like the 1998 Beetles did not have the Immobilizer, but sometime in 1999 the Immobilizer may have been introduced??? Not sure if this was for the entire 1999 build or if it was phased in??

This is a quote from one of the links above, so it does appears that if there is a faulty Immobilizer the engine could start and die - "The main symptom of a faulty system or activated immobilizer is that the engine shuts off after a second or the yellow car/key symbol on the dashboard flashes. A very low car battery or car battery removal could also cause the immobilizer to become active."

But also take note about the low battery as well.

In case you determine you have a fuel pump issue, suggest this supplier, BMA Auto Parts | Bumper to Bumper since 1978 | Oem auto parts, vw parts, sachs boge, mercedes benz parts, honda auto parts, saab parts and use SPECE30 discount code. These guys ship quick and I the part linked is an OE part.

1999 Volkswagen Beetle - Parts -MEYLE,SIEMENS/VDO- Bma Auto Parts

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I know for a fact that 99s didn't have an immobilizer. I had a 99 =) You need to get that car somewhere else. The dealer doesn't know what they are talking about.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi All !!!

Thanks for your time and your answers ... This 99 bug has / Had an immo - I had KERMA TDI reprogram my ECU and now the car runs flawlessly.

A side benefit of this route - now I can get keys made that wont cost an arm and a leg :D

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
I was going to mention, bypass the dealer, and find a good independent VW shop. But it sounds like you already have! Hooray!!

I'm glad to hear that the issue is resolved.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
wbg, please tell us more; how much was the kerma ecm reprogram, what was the process (send in ecm etc.) and what was the turnaround for the whole process (how long did it take for them to do the work)? Inquiring minds want to know! The immo issue; is very common, please tell us all about your solution.... so, we can direct people in the future who would like to go this immo delete route! Thanks! :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
You sure it had immo? I know mine didn't. Did you see the light come on in the dash with the car with the key in it? Don't trust the dealer on that either. I went to get a key made after I got my '99 and argued with the parts counter for a good bit of time that my car didn't have an immobilizer. They swore it did...thinking all new VWs had it. But they were entirely wrong. Got a new key cut with no immobilizer and no issues.

Edit: Immobilizers didn't start until 2000. This site also confirms that: http://www.sidewinderkey.com/

·
Registered
45 Posts
You sure it had immo? I know mine didn't. Did you see the light come on in the dash with the car with the key in it? Don't trust the dealer on that either. I went to get a key made after I got my '99 and argued with the parts counter for a good bit of time that my car didn't have an immobilizer. They swore it did...thinking all new VWs had it. But they were entirely wrong. Got a new key cut with no immobilizer and no issues.

Edit: Immobilizers didn't start until 2000. This site also confirms that: Sidewinderkey.com
Question. If immobilizers didn't start until 2000. What does my 1998 nb 2.0l have? My key is a half round key with 1 round button in the middle of it. If I open it you can see the pill shaped chip.... so what's going on? How then, or what does the key communicate with in the car? Thx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts